Thread: Meal Prep Myths Debunked

Default Meal Prep Myths Debunked

Care2 Editors
    April 1 2029

There isn’t an exact science, and most foods are still edible (if no longer full of flavor) for a day or two after their shelf life expires, but it’s great to know how long foods last in the refrigerator before you eat or freeze them. Magnet created a handy freezer chart too, so you never have to waste food again.
    You’ll notice that many foods suitable for vegetarians and vegans last longer than cooked meats and fish. Superfoods like quinoa, can keep in the fridge for up to a week once cooked – making meal prep Sundays even more of a breeze

Read more: https://www.care2.com/greenliving/me...-debunked.html

Default Re: Meal Prep Myths Debunked

That that freezer chart seems a little extreme, especially storage for the meat and poultry. I put 5-6 of my own chickens in the freezer in August and expect some to last until the following August. The same is true for a side of lamb. And since it takes me two years to eat my way through a side of pork, I keep one for myself every other year. No harm has ever come to my hams, bacon, chops or roasts by spending an extra year at zero degrees.
    Let's be realistic. Lambs are born in spring and slaughtered in fall. If your lamb is only safe for 6 months, where are you going to find another one in May? Of course a side of lamb will keep frozen for a year. Urban dwellers have access to Australian lamb chops or legs or ground lamb year round, but we country folks have to adhere to the turning of the seasons.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

But lamb is so expensive here in Oz I rarely get to eat it. I envy you Islander!

Lamb steak/chops have become my new breakfast meat, as they are reasonably priced now, and are great with eggs. I'll buy a small size steak, saute/simmer it in a covered, cast iron pan, and cut it up for 2-3 brk sausage sized portions. And my Griffon pointer, Maggie, gets to lick the pan and chew on any meaty bones.

I should add that breakfast with groats and omelet & brk meat, combined with an intermittent fasting (IF) 6 appx hour eating window, has slowly morphed over time into my main meal of the day. And pre-noontime late morning dinner, the last meal of the day, has become somewhat smaller.

And I might further add that this IF routine allows me to turn in to bed early with a very empty stomach, thus providing for a much better night's sleep.
    Last edited by grulla; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    But lamb is so expensive here in Oz I rarely get to eat it. I envy you Islander!
    Not cheap at the market, but very affordable by the side! And get this: a pound of OG grassfed beef from Oz is cheaper than the same product, locally!

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    ...breakfast with groats and omelet & brk meat... has slowly morphed over time into my main meal of the day.
    I can see why! I always thought that the special egg breakfast was how you started your day. When you began talking about oat groats, I assumed your main dish breakfast had changed. Now I see that both are included. That's a lot of food!

"That's a lot of food." Yeah, but it, combined with a 5-6 hour intermittent fasting (IF) eating window and a gradually shrinking noontime dinner, over time, has lasted me all day. And no more need for a mid-morning munchie, since the narrow 5-6 hour (IF) eating window now allows me to combine that munchie into an an appetizer connected to the smaller early, noontime dinner.

I foresee the day that all this could eventually lead to just a prenoon munchie without a small, traditional, lunchtime dinner, however traditional habits so far prevent me from doing that since I am involved in helping my life-long autistic disabled, late wife's sister (SIL), next door, prepare and organize healthy meals, which sort of corrupts and interferes with that thought. You know how that goes, "Out of sight, out of mind." lol
    Last edited by grulla; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:27 AM.

I also have 2 meals/day. The first, around noon, might be 1/3 c. of oatmeal with some blueberries or about 1/3 of a pear, diced. Sometimes the equivalent in quinoa. Sometimes 2 soft-boiled eggs with lots of butter. Sometimes a modest salad, or a cup of leftover stir-fry, or a cup of hearty homade soup. That's why your "breakfast" sounds like 3-4 meals to me!

Supper, 6 hours or so later, is whatever's on hand but if it's meat, poultry or fish it would be 3 oz. of protein. Tonight it's ground lamb with dressed-up eggplant; dunno how that will look, I have to check the recipe file, but you can be sure I'll get at least 3 meals out of it. I saved half a grapefruit for dessert. No, it's not a lot of food. I have a "thrifty" metabolism and calories cling to me like rats to a sinking ship.

grulla, I think you had better make up a new word entirely: "pre-noontime late morning dinner" is just too confusing, and - no pun intended - quite a mouthful!

How about brunch, or even just early lunch?
    Last edited by Julieanne; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:30 AM.

"How about brunch, or even just early lunch." I had earlier redacted "brunch" because it conflicts with my early morning, separate breakfast. But yeah, I get the idea. :-)
    Last edited by grulla; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:06 AM.

Thread Information