Thread: The Cutter Incident: How America's 1st Polio Vaccine Led to a Growing Vaccine Crisis

Default The Cutter Incident: How America's 1st Polio Vaccine Led to a Growing Vaccine Crisis

For years I had heard references to the Cutter incident but never found the actual story until now.

Michael Fitzpatrick
    J R Soc Med. 2006 Mar; 99(3): 156.
    PMCID: PMC1383764

In April 1955 more than 200 000 children in five Western and mid-Western USA states received a polio vaccine in which the process of inactivating the live virus proved to be defective. Within days there were reports of paralysis and within a month the first mass vaccination programme against polio had to be abandoned. Subsequent investigations revealed that the vaccine, manufactured by the California-based family firm of Cutter Laboratories, had caused 40 000 cases of polio, leaving 200 children with varying degrees of paralysis and killing 10.

Keep reading: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...mp9bBVZHET5aEA
    Last edited by Islander; 04-03-19 at 07:54 PM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: The Cutter Incident: How America's 1st Polio Vaccine Led to a Growing Vaccine Cri

New information for me. Never heard of the Cutter Incident. Having a U.S. President with polio behind the effort to develop a vaccine most assuredly expedited the entire process. I visited the Salk institute in San Diego, where I collected data on biological germs that could be weaponized. Surprisingly, the staff provided an unexpected honest history about the early failures of both Jonas Salk and the salk polio vaccine.

Default Re: The Cutter Incident: How America's 1st Polio Vaccine Led to a Growing Vaccine Cri

A side note: My understanding is that the famous photograph of many people inside iron lung devices was as a result of the Cutter incident, although it typically has been used as a scare tactic about the polio illness itself.

I vividly remember seeing that photograph, but didn't know it was connected to the Cutter incident. Thanks for that tidbit.

If we're thinking of the same photo, rows of polio victims in iron lungs with a few nurses here and there, it's fake. It was a staged photo for propaganda purposes. (I just learned that myself).
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Fake news is nothing new!

Thread Information