Thread: NYC declares public health emergency (measles), orders mandatory vaccinations

Veteran Member

Default NYC declares public health emergency (measles), orders mandatory vaccinations

Alex Horton and Lindsey Bever
    April 9, 2019

New York City on Tuesday declared a public health emergency and ordered mandatory measles vaccinations amid an outbreak in Brooklyn, becoming the latest national flash point over refusals to inoculate against dangerous diseases.Outbreaks nationwide have forced state and city health officials to pursue tougher stances, such as mandatory vaccines or banning unvaccinated children from public places, prompting legal challenges and judicial intervention.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ak-mayor-says/
    Last edited by Pattypans; 04-11-19 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Fix spacing--the spaces had disappeared!

Default Re: NYC declares public health emergency (measles), orders mandatory vaccinations

A judge ruled against the Rockland County, NY ban that denied unvaccinated children access to public spaces. I suspect that this judge has established precedent with his ruling. So, NY City may want to take heed.

Veteran Member

Default Re: NYC declares public health emergency (measles), orders mandatory vaccinations

Yes, but NYC is going even further and mandating vaccinations for all over the age of six months, with a one-thousand dollar fine for 'resisters.' I certainly hope this faces, and is stopped by, a swift legal challenge. And when the legal challenge comes, I think the judge should put a hold on the forced vaccinations until a decision is reached.

It affects a small group of Orthodox Jews in the Bronx, I believe, with a cluster of unvaccinated children. I think I read that they are complying. I could be mistaken.
    Last edited by Islander; 04-09-19 at 08:50 PM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

I don't think it matters how many or how few are affected. If we allow the government at any level to force us to inject ourselves or our children with anything, we are on a greased slope to losing civil liberties held dear since the inception of our nation.

Absolutely right, Patty.

So, the judge denied Rockland County, NY's ban on unvaccinated children because he said 167 cases did not constitute a public health emergency. I believe a judge will deny New York City's order for mandatory vaccinations based on 285 cases, especially since almost 9 million people live in NY city. 285 cases of measles in a city of 9 million people does not qualify as a public health emergency--IMHO.

Certainly hope you are correct about that one, Mr Wiz!

I have read this elsewhere, so it seems to be correct.

But it may not have come before a judge yet. Things can change.

The NY mandatory vaccination program has not gone before a judge yet. But, legal counsel for the New York Civil Liberties Union is threatening a lawsuit. The NY CLU states that the mayor's edict goes too far, requiring "forced vaccinations." The CLU lawyers conceded the mayor may be within his right to order a quarantine or to impose monetary fines on parents who don't comply, but to force medical treatment on people who don't want it may be a bridge too far. **What seems legally suspect to me is the mayor's edict only applies to a few specified "zipcodes" in Brooklyn. It would seem the mayor would have been on firmer legal grounds if he'd declared a city-wide emergency.

Good point! The mayor is targeting specific religious populations, a logical move since that's where the outbreaks are occurring, but illegal or unconstitutional in the sense that it's confined to one demographic. And again, no state should have the right to force any substance into my body without my informed consent. Where there is risk, there must be choice.
    Last edited by Islander; 04-13-19 at 08:10 AM.

Apparently, the same lawyers who won the case against the ban in Rockland County, NY are now representing the New York City community against the mayor's "forced vaccinations."

Excellent. I wish them luck!

Thread Information