Thread: Indianapolis-Based Co. Recalls Melon Products in 16 States After Salmonella Outbreak

Default Indianapolis-Based Co. Recalls Melon Products in 16 States After Salmonella Outbreak

This story reminded me of Grulla's recent alert on washing fruits and veggies for this very reason. I've now taken to washing all my avocados. I think I'll speak to my store manager before buying any mixed melon clamshells!

Associated Press
    April 13, 2019

(INDIANAPOLIS) — An Indianapolis-based company has issued a recall for melon products sold in 16 states after being linked to a salmonella outbreak.The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Friday that the recall includes cut watermelon, honeydew and cantaloupe produced by Caito Foods LLC. The fruit has been sold under various brands or labels at Kroger, Walmart, Trader Joe’s, Target and Whole Foods.
    The affected states are Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Read more: http://time.com/5570127/melon-produc...3a%22USA%22%7d
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Indianapolis-Based Co. Recalls Melon Products in 16 States After Salmonella Outbr

And it's not just avocados, I wash all my organic fruits and veggies (as said above). I recently posted on Mercola in January that my past experience with food poisoning happened just this last November 2018, when I purchased a 'fresh' carton of ORGANIC strawberries at my food co-op, and made the mistake of not washing them (might not have made a difference with porous strawberries???) munching them while driving home. A week or two later, (incubation period), I experienced nasty symptoms of either (?) listeria, salmonella, e-coli, etc. It took over a month to get over it, but it could have been much worse, especially for people with advanced age and a weakened immune GI tract system. At 73, I guess my fairly good gut health and regularity helped minimize the problem, as this article link explains: https://www.foodpoisonjournal.com/fo...awberries-are/
    https://www.newsweek.com/fda-avocado...soning-1270197
    Last edited by grulla; 04-17-19 at 07:18 PM.

Default Re: Indianapolis-Based Co. Recalls Melon Products in 16 States After Salmonella Outbr

It seems every month or so there's another "multi-state" outbreak of contaminated food. But, the CDC claims the number of outbreaks have not increased, but the technology used by government & businesses to identify the source and link the culprits has improved. In 2013, the feds began using a "new tool," called gene sequencing, which allows it to map the DNA of a pathogen, like listeria, in food across states to determine if the pathogens are connected. More importantly, a growing number of food industry businesses are now using the genome sequencing tool, which allows them to initiate their own recalls. Such is the case with this article...the Indianapolis-based company initiated this melon product recall. The industry loves it because it keeps the government out of the process, and allows it to control the narrative. In the future, we can expect to see more business-initiated recalls than government recalls because of the new technology.

So there is something good to be said of genetic engineering after all. Thank you for finding that piece of information, Mr. Wizard.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information