Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin C Can Shorten The Length Of Stay In The ICU, Study Finds

Default Vitamin C Can Shorten The Length Of Stay In The ICU, Study Finds

University of Helsinki
    March 27, 2019

Vitamin C administration shortened the length of stay in the intensive care unit on average by 8 percent in 12 trials with 1766 patients, according to a new meta-analysis.

The biochemistry of vitamin C is complex. For example, it is involved in the synthesis of norepinephrine and vasopressin, both of which influence the cardiovascular system, and carnitine, which is involved in energy metabolism.

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0327123913.htm
    Last edited by Julieanne; 04-17-19 at 07:41 AM.

Default Re: Vitamin C Can Shorten The Length Of Stay In The ICU, Study Finds

I'm convinced there is nothing vitamin C cannot do. Remember, IV vitamin C even ends addiction and cures cancer. It might even turn lead into gold!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

"I'm convinced there is nothing vitamin C cannot do....It might even turn lead into gold!" LOL, "Islander", you get the Nobel Peace Prize of the day for alchemy, .
    https://www.thoughtco.com/turning-lead-into-gold-602104
    Last edited by grulla; 04-20-19 at 08:17 AM.

If given an ultimatum to surrender all my food supplements but one, vitamin C would be my keeper. Almost every life form requires vit. C to exist. Curious to me is how humans (and some other primates) lost the ability to synthesize such a critical substance needed to live. I know we still possess the gene needed for synthesis, but it's just amazing how over time the gene mutated to become nonfunctional.

Agreed. To me, that is pysiology's (or evolution's) greatest mystery.

According to an NIH study, surprisingly, certain bat species and passeriformes bird species have successfully reactivated their once dormant genes for vitamin C synthesis. So, perhaps there's still hope for humans.

The Bering Sea has already reached a state not expected until 2050. In other words, I don't think we have enough time to reactivate our genes for vitamin C synthesis. Just sayin'...

"The Bering Sea has already reached a state not expected until 2050." I hope that doesn't interfere with the possibility of future organic produce import trade with Russia to North America, via the proposed Bering Sea railroad bridge or tunnel through the Diomede Islands.
    https://www.foodnavigator.com/Articl...in-s-ambitions http://interbering.com/
    Last edited by grulla; 04-19-19 at 10:02 AM.

Grulla, ocean traffic will — much sooner than expected — be the least of our worries.

I was focused on railroad tunnel/bridge construction which could hopefully circumvent ocean traffic between Asia and North America.

I saw nothing about railroad tunnel/bridge construction in the link you shared. I assumed that you were referring to ice-free conditions and rising sea levels to facilitate trade between the two countries. What am I missing here?

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I saw nothing about railroad tunnel/bridge construction in the link you shared. I assumed that you were referring to ice-free conditions and rising sea levels to facilitate trade between the two countries. What am I missing here?
    Here is the aboveBering Tunnel link again: http://interbering.com/
    And here are some more: http://www.info-quest.org/ExtremeEngineering.html
    And search images: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bering+str...ages&ia=images

The one map shows a direct proposed passenger trip from Paris to New York, where I'm sure you'll be able to connect, via Amtrack, to Maine, and Paris to London via the Chunnel. Lots of Herring and vodka served in the dining car. But the potential for international trade in organic produce with Russia and other countries, must be great.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge." ---- Einstein

Last edited by grulla; 04-20-19 at 08:12 AM.

Grulla, that "interbering" link wasn't included in your original post. Now I can see what the proposals are.

Engineers ought to be able to know what they are talking about, but in this case color me skeptical. Considering the speed with which permafrost is melting, any bridge support would have to be anchored in bedrock. The size and scope of such a project will likely not be finished in time to serve humanity, given the rapidly changing environment in the polar north.

"Grulla, that "interbering" link wasn't included in your original post." I don't mean to quibble and argue, but that link was in fact there in the original post. It's the short link on the second link line. If you can't see that, then there may be a website problem???

Somewhere in other related links, it indicated that PM Putin was very interested in funding that project. The Russians seem quite capable and have an appetite for accomplishing such projects, like that monumental Kerch Bridge project to Crimea.
    https://ianiworld.com/kerch-bridge-crimea-russia/
    Apparently, this is not like the Mexican government border wall lack of funding issue, because China, Canada, the U.S, and of course Russia would all be (agreeably) mutually involved.

As a further aside, China, Canada, and the U.S., as well as many other countries, all prescribe to the 4', 8 1/2" (1435mm) standard (Roman chariot) railroad track gauge, where Russia has their own 5' (1524mm) broad gauge track that was originally designed well over a 100 years ago as a national security measure against invading armies trying to use their infrastructure. So some interchange facility would have to be built to transfer Russian RR rolling stock from broad gauge to the standard gauge set of RR "trucks", (bogies), and vice-versa, much like the Moscow to Beijing overnight Trans-Siberian passenger train has to do at the Russian-Chinese border. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQK_qru6qvs

But it is probably very cost effective to have access to all that organic Russian (and other country) produce. I suppose the "eat seasonally" people won't be so impressed, but you have to supply the big cities with fresh produce year around, no matter from where.
    Last edited by grulla; 04-20-19 at 04:11 PM.

Ah, now that you call my attention to it, I see what happened. Both links occupy the same line and to my careless eye it appeared to be a single link. When I clicked, only the first came up. Suggestion: to keep things clear, in future it would be best to print each link on a separate line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information