Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Study Shows Fracking Is Depleting US Drinking Water Sources at a Catastrophic Rate

Default Study Shows Fracking Is Depleting US Drinking Water Sources at a Catastrophic Rate

John Vibes
    August 26, 2018

A Duke University study says the fracking industry is sucking up the nation's drinkable water and replacing it with toxic waste.

According to a recent study conducted at Duke University revealed that Hydraulic fracking is having a catastrophic impact on water supplies throughout the US. The findings of the study suggest that fracking is using far much more water than before, and putting a huge dent in the amount of drinkable water available in water supplies.
    Hydraulic fracturing is a natural gas extraction method that has become extremely controversial for its environmental impacts. Fracking is the process of drilling down into the earth before a high-pressure water mixture is directed at the rock to release the gas inside.

Read more: https://thefreethoughtproject.com/sh...MB5MyILyxdCQiQ

➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Study Shows Fracking Is Depleting US Drinking Water Sources at a Catastrophic Rat

Despite all of the benefits of fracking (i.e., lack of dependence on foreign energy sources, lower energy prices, etc.), depleting drinkable water at a rapid pace is extremely dangerous. The scarcity of drinkable water has led to "water conflicts" throughout the world for decades. Some even predict that War World III will be fought over water. Although not ideal, we can buy more oil and gas, but I'm not sure we have any willing parties ready to sell us water.

Default Re: Study Shows Fracking Is Depleting US Drinking Water Sources at a Catastrophic Rat

You could end up with recycled sewage or desalinated water - both used in Australia.

I remember reading something about parts of Australia using recycled sewage water for drinking. Truth be told, this is happening almost everywhere. Treatment plants dump their waste water into the same rivers and waterways that towns and cities draw their drinking water from. For years, treatment plants have dumped waste water in the Thames river in England. All cities and towns along the Thames--including London--draw their drinking water from the Thames. Some municipalities are even pumping treated sewage water into their groundwater. So, even groundwater used for drinking may contain treated waste water.

I don't think I wanted to know this. Srsly, I had no idea it was that bad. I'm so thankful I live in the country, with both a drilled and a dug well (though neither one has bee reliable following 2 years of drought) with nothing nearby to contaminate either ground water or the aquifer.

The prediction is for more treated waste water being used as drinkable water, rather than desalinated water. Although the costs for desalinated plants are coming down, these plants create 1.5 times more "brine" (concentrated salt water) than drinkable water. Brine is dumped back into the water source, causing a different set of problems for sea life. It's cheaper to build waste water treatment plants near inland populations than to construct the necessary infrastructure needed to pump desalinated water miles inland. So, get ready for more drinkable water from treated waste water.

The fuss has more or less died down now re drinking treated sewage - people forget and move on. But at the time it was announced there were any number of ministers willing to appear on TV to drink a glass of clear, clean, treated water. Mind you, most politicians will do anything for a photo opportunity!

Hahaha. I remember some PR guy or pseudo-science representative from Monsanto crowing about the safety of glyphosate, even going so far as to say it was safe enough to drink. When someone walked on the set with the jug and the glass and offered to pour him a serving, he turned around and walked off camera.

So, the term "toilet to tap" has been used to describe drinking water made from waste water. However, based on my readings, this couldn't be further from the truth. Here's how the process works: 1. after undergoing the standard waste treatment process, waste water destined for drinking is further subjected to reverse osmosis, which eliminates viruses, bacteria, protozoa, pharmaceuticals, etc.; 2. then the water is disinfected by ultra violet light (UV) or ozone and hydrogen peroxide; and 3. finally, the disinfected water is added to surface water reservoirs or groundwater, where it is further purified by natural processes. At some point when the recycled water is drawn from the reservoir or groundwater, it goes through the standard water purification process that all drinking water undergoes. **If all this is true, then it's a far cry from "toilet to tap."

Thank you for that detailed explanation of the process, Mr. Wizard. It makes me feel much more reassured about drinking tap water when I visit my four children, all of whom live in urban areas. Some of them further filter tap water through a pitcher in the fridge that removes any hint of chlorine or other flavor from the tap water.

Yes, the reverse osmosis (RO) process is the key for converting waste water to drinking water. RO, for example, is effective in removing up to 95% of pharmaceuticals from drinking water. But, typically, public water systems do not use RO to produce drinking water. Typically, public systems: 1. add chemicals to water drawn from a reservoir, causing dirt and particles to settle to the bottom; 2. filter the clear water that remains on top; and 3. disinfect the filtered water, usually with chlorine, to kill any remaining parasites, etc. and to further protect the water from germs when it's piped to homes and businesses. This explains, in part, why pharmaceuticals remain in our drinking water. The RO process would significantly reduce this problem.

Yet you say above, "...waste water destined for drinking is further subjected to reverse osmosis..." So, in what cases is this accurate, and in which cases, untrue?

Sorry for the confusion. So, toilet water--or what I call waste water--is treated via RO. Then, this RO-treated water is then mixed back in with other surface water (usually a resevoir), or groundwater or a bay, or some other collection of water. Ultimately, this water is filtered by public water systems using a multi-step process that does not include RO.

We are going to eventually have no choice, but to desalinate sea water , as in this previous HH thread; https://www.hawkeshealth.net/communi...r+distillation

Large parabolic solar dishes (like satellite TV antenna dishes) could do the job for distilling just drinking water. There has been much written, though, that drinking too much distilled water can have a mineral chelating effect on the human body, so safe (I hope) trace mineral additives could be added to the distilled drinking water. I wonder though, if that would open a corrupt can of worms like the fluoride industry, if not planned and regulated correctly.
    https://www.mercola.com/article/wate...lled_water.htm

Mr. Wizard, thank you for clarifying the use of RO.

Grulla, by the time desalinating is scaled up to process enough water to fill the demand, the demand may disappear. Climate change continues to accelerate at a faster pace than predicted, even as the predictions themselves accelerate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information