Thread: Most High Risk Patients Not Helped By Statins

Default Most High Risk Patients Not Helped By Statins

Bryan Hubbard
    May 28 2019

Most people who are at risk of developing heart disease aren't being helped by cholesterol-lowering statins. The drugs failed to reduce levels of 'bad' LDL cholesterol in 58 per cent of at-risk patients, new research has discovered.
    The findings echo those in a study last month that had found the drugs are ineffective in 50 per cent of patients.

In the new study, the drugs failed to reduce LDL cholesterol to safe levels in most at-risk patients, and 51 per cent of those who took the drugs as prescribed, while 33 per cent of the 86,000 patients monitored didn't see their LDL levels fall.

Read more: https://www.wddty.com/news/2019/05/m...=1559043380903

Default Re: Most High Risk Patients Not Helped By Statins

I think it's well understood by now that (a) statins are the industry's biggest cash cow that (b) is based on flawed science. The "safe level" of cholesterol is a myth; the safe level is whatever level you have. Your liver manufactures 1200 mg a day because you need it; if you aren't consuming adequate saturated fat in your diet, your liver will increase its production. Do a site search on "cholesterol" to find any number of published studies that validate the above statements.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

What a con job the medical community pulled off with this one. A drug that's ineffective for half the people who take them, and still reached $20 Billion in sales last year. In three years by 2022, statins sales are projected to be about $25 Billion. Worse than being ineffective, some people taking statins may experience serious side effects, including muscle pain, increased blood sugar levels, and liver and kidney damage.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 06-05-19 at 06:28 PM.

I will never win a medal for my comprehensive vocabulary, but I seem to have an unusual ability to remember botanical Latin and physiological terminology. For instance, rhabdomyolysis is the technical term for muscle pain and weakness — a fairly common side effect of statin drugs.
    I just read about a study that concluded that there is no apparent difference in cholesterol levels between red meat consumption and chicken consumption. Yet we all know that the best, tastiest beef and lamb are marbled; the marbled fat in chops and roasts is what gives red meat its well known tastiness. Of course chicken has none, and few American cooks save schmaltz (liquified chicken fat from the roasting pan, which adds so much snap to meals). Schmaltz is one highlight of Jewish cooking! My point: researchers were surprised that consumption of fatty meats didn't raise anyone's cholesterol level. What they fail to remember, I'm guessing, is that cholesterol is so important to the function of body and brain that our liver will turn out more if we don't supply it from dietary sources.

It really is worse than that. Rhabdomyolysis causes muscle pain and weakness because it is the actual destruction of muscle tissue.

That's even more worrisome. I've tried to warn friends, and you know how that goes... although one actually looked it up and took me seriously thereafter.

Thread Information