Thread: A Quick Walk a Day Keeps Arthritis at Bay

Default A Quick Walk a Day Keeps Arthritis at Bay

Beth Levine
    04/16/2019

Arthritis is a major complaint of many people as they get older. Typically starting after the age of 40, osteoarthritis—the most common form of arthritis—develops in one or more joints and results in pain, stiffness, and swelling, which can worsen to the point that it impacts the quality of life and eventually even becomes disabling. And with more than 30 million adults in the United States alone suffering from osteoarthritis, this is an issue that should be of concern to all of us. But even if you already have a diagnosis of osteoarthritis, there is hope. New research suggests that there may be a simple way to avoid a worsening of your symptoms.

Read more: https://jonbarron.org/allergies-asth..._hsmi=72136632
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: A Quick Walk a Day Keeps Arthritis at Bay

Walking is truly underrated. A few years ago, I had to stop jogging, at which point I discovered the many benefits of walking. In a nutshell, regular walking can: lower blood pressure; lower blood sugar & cholesterol; improve your mood by modifying your nervous system--you become calmer; improve the quality of sleep; improve your balance; increase your strength; and burn calories.

And all that is even more true when walking in fields and woods. Even better: take your pets. I take my two (used to be three) cats on my walks. No, no leashes. Yes, they come when called. Yes, they stay within a few yards of me (except when climbing the occasional tree). And they have great fun, running around and chasing each other at full speed. Great exercise for all of us!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

A few years back, when I experienced gout, (a form of arthritis), I was forced to exercise and increase blood flow circulation to the affected limbs...my feet. That was quite challenging, as I would have to walk as much as I could until the increased inflammation would cause me to rest my feet. Once the inflammation subsided a bit, I would resume walking again, hoping to extend the distance more and more with each and every walking/resting cycle event.

I also realized that alleviating a little weight off of my feet was very helpful, as crutches or a shopping cart (like a walker) at the supermarket worked well for that, allowing me to rest some weight on the handle bar. A bicycle would be excellent for that situation.

The gout occurred mainly in cold winter weather and I was finally able to resolve the problem by avoiding beer/yeast, and the gout has not bothered me since. Got wine.
    Last edited by grulla; 05-05-19 at 08:45 AM.

You're lucky you were able to resolve it by avoiding beer/yeast. Most men have to cut back on red meat, most forms of seafood, HFCS, and almost anything that causes uric acid levels to increase. Estrogen protects most women from gout. It runs in my family so I've been careful. Ultimately, the root cause often--not always, but often--traces back to under-performing kidneys that fail to properly excrete uric acid.

Thread Information