Thread: FDA Adds Black Boxed Warning to Insomnia Drugs

Default FDA Adds Black Boxed Warning to Insomnia Drugs

Dr. Michael Murray
    Wednesday, May 1st 2019

In an "it's about time" move, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has mandated that drug companies put what is referred to as a "black boxed" warning on certain prescription sleeping pills.

These drugs have long been reported to cause injury and death resulting from sleepwalking, sleep driving, and engaging in other activities while not fully awake after taking these medicines. It is a step in the right direction, but even stronger warnings are required as these drugs are associated with significant health risks, including depression and increased death rates due to cancer.

Read more: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/fda...eid=097055ab13
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: FDA Adds Black Boxed Warning to Insomnia Drugs

Not sure a "black box" warning on insomnia drugs will make much difference. It certainly has not for prescription opioid medications. When people are truly suffering, they want and need relief. It seems a lot of people suffer from insomnia, with one-third of the U.S. population indicating they have insomnia "on a regular basis," and almost 20% indicating it greatly impacts their lives. Sometimes desperate people require desperate measures to get relief. It's a tiny, small step in the right direction. I'm just saying it may not make too much of a difference.

We are constantly told to get more sleep, but for many of us it's not easy. The articles urging us to sleep more often list the effects of not getting enough sleep, which are not very different to the effects of the various pills!

FWIW, having struggled with insomnia for much of my life — and especially after retiring, when I was no longer on a 9-to-5 schedule (in bed by 9, up by 5), I was forced to get serious when I fell asleep at the wheel and totaled my car. I had never used sleeping pills but I had found the right strain, dose and timing of cannabis to put me to sleep at precisely 10 p.m. every night. So why did I zone out on a sunny afternoon, a few minutes from home? My doctor explained that whatever I might use, cannabis or prescription, was interfering with my "sleep architecture" and I was not getting restful, restorative sleep. We tried an experiment that worked much of the time, but continuing to research, I finally found a routine that works most of the time for me.
    About an hour before I plan to be in bed, say 10 p.m., I shut down the computer and brew a cup of Celestial Seasonings Sleeptime tea. At 10:30 I take one dose of Melatonin Plus Theanine. At 11 p.m. it's lights out. And first thing in the morning, regardless of weather, I immediately step out on the deck and look hard at daylight. Supposedly it helps to set my internal clock.
    People differ, but this routine, while not infallible, has worked surprisingly well for me.

Islander, does it help to have a dog who wants to be taken out every morning? Now that I have Syria, it does help to get me out of bed in the morning, but of course getting to sleep at night is another story.

Veteran Member

That's interesting about looking 'hard' at daylight, Islander. I need as near to total darkness as possible to sleep well, but as soon as I'm up, I crave daylight. I'm so happy you've found a simple, effective routine that helps you sleep!

Thank you, Patty!
    Maurya, Maggie is an older dog who holds her water well. I've been known to oversleep as late as 10 a.m. and of course, the first thing I do is let the dog out, but there has never been an accident.

Thanks Islander. I'm looking forward to Syria becoming a middle aged, sedate dog. Wish we just could freeze them at that stage. Too young they get old.

Thread Information