Thread: Parents who raise children as vegans should be prosecuted, say Belgian doctors

Default Parents who raise children as vegans should be prosecuted, say Belgian doctors

James Crisp
    16 MAY 2019

D
    octors in Belgium have called for parents who raise their children as vegans to face prosecution after a number of deaths in schools, nurseries and hospitals.
    It is estimated that 3 percent of Belgian children are forced to follow the strict diet, which rules out any animal products, including dairy and eggs.
    The Royal Academy of Medicine of Belgium published a legal opinion on Thursday, which could influence future court judgments and is the first time a health authority has taken a position on veganism in the country.
    The opinion said it was unethical to subject children to the diet because it didn’t include animal proteins and vital amino acids which can help growth and prevent health problems.

Continue reading: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...d-say-belgian/

Last edited by Islander; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:11 AM. Reason: formatting

Default Re: Parents who raise children as vegans should be prosecuted, say Belgian doctors

Perhaps this news item could/should have been posted in the Legal Challenges and Actions Forum????

Default Re: Parents who raise children as vegans should be prosecuted, say Belgian doctors

No, since it requires no action, offers no petition to sign etc. I think it's right where it belongs.

I have known at least two 100% vegetarian families, all members of which are healthy. I can't say the same for vegans. Everyone I know who has attempted it, including those I've simply read about, have discontinued their lifestyle for a variety of reasons. I personally doubt whether it's possible for even the best-intention plans to supply all the necessary nutrients for a wholesome diet. Further, anthropology fails to record any culture that was vegan or even vegetarian. We simply didn't evolve with those kinds of restrictions.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information