Thread: Thousands of cancer diagnoses tied to a poor diet, study finds

Default Thousands of cancer diagnoses tied to a poor diet, study finds

Jacqueline Howard
    Wed May 22, 2019

(CNN)Your diet may have more impact on your cancer risk than you might think, a new study has found. An estimated 80,110 new cancer cases among adults 20 and older in the United States in 2015 were attributable simply to eating a poor diet, according to the study, published in the JNCI Cancer Spectrum on Wednesday.
    "This is equivalent to about 5.2% of all invasive cancer cases newly diagnosed among US adults in 2015," said Dr. Fang Fang Zhang, a nutrition and cancer epidemiologist at Tufts University in Boston, who was first author of the study.
    "This proportion is comparable to the proportion of cancer burden attributable to alcohol," she said.
    The researchers evaluated seven dietary factors: a low intake of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and dairy products and a high intake of processed meats, red meats and sugary beverages, such as soda.

Keep reading: https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/22/healt...7cefd-94005133
    Last edited by Islander; 05-25-19 at 08:51 PM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Thousands of cancer diagnoses tied to a poor diet, study finds

Before I use up all the oxygen in the room, I'll let others critique this first. Anyone else see potential flaws?

Veteran Member

One thing that struck me was the emphasis on the alleged benefits of whole grains in preventing cancer. I wonder if that benefit is actually from high fiber. (It especially referred to colorectal cancer, I think). If so, it would probably be better and perhaps even more cancer-protective to get the good effects of fiber from a diet high in vegetables and some fruit. Plus, that would give you all the other benefits that vegetables proffer.

I was surprised they mentioned lack of dairy products as a factor. Many healthy vegans survive without milk, cheese etc, and plant milks are increasingly popular, even among meat eaters.

I assume that members and regular readers of this site are very much aware of the difference between junk food and a healthful diet. In other words, what this study took the trouble to ascertain is patently obvious. Dairy products in the form of pasteurized, homogenized, reduced fat, etc. would not be seen as particularly healthful were it not for the efforts of the dairy industry. Most cultures around the world discontinue drinking milk once a child is weaned, and adults lose their ability to digest milk, which is perfectly normal. There are plenty of sources of calcium that don't include dairy: dark leafy greens, seafood (especially sardines and salmon), seeds and nuts, legumes, dried fruit.

What particularly annoys me is the inclusion of red meat as something to avoid in almost any dietary recommendation. First, what constitutes "red" meat, other than beef? Pork and poultry are white. Lamb is red but few people eat it. The same is true for deer, moose, caribou, elk, and bear. So why don't they simply say "beef"? More to the point, these studies never specify whether the beef is grass-fed and -finished (i.e. organic) or commercial feedlot beef, which is loaded with various hormones, antibiotics and GMO grains. A steady diet of commercial feedlot burgers and GMO fries sounds like a recipe for cancer to me.

Thread Information