Thread: Having Your Appendix Removed Increases Parkinson's Risk

Default Having Your Appendix Removed Increases Parkinson's Risk

Bryan Hubbard
    May29 2019

Forty years ago, people were having their appendix removed for fun. Along with taking out tonsils, this was the biggest just-in-case surgical procedure around—but now it's been discovered that having an appendectomy triples the risk of developing Parkinson's disease.
    Like so many diseases, Parkinson's—a degenerative disorder of the central nervous system—starts in the gut, and the appendix helps regulate proteins that have been linked to the condition.

Read more: https://www.wddty.com/news/2019/05/h...=1559302801819

Default Re: Having Your Appendix Removed Increases Parkinson's Risk

I think it's safe to say that 40 years ago no one was doing serious abdominal surgery just for fun. No one poked around at the appendix unless it spoke up, at which point it attracted a great deal of attention!
    It's interesting that I read the same story in The Week news magazine tonight. It seems to have consulted more than one study (Case Western Reserve University and an unspecified Swedish study) and come to slightly less definite conclusions. The first study found that of the nearly 500,000 people who'd had appendectomies, .92% went on to get Parkinson's – compared with only .29% of those who hadn't had the procedure. The researchers say one possible explanation is that alpha-synuclein is released into the body during an appendectomy, and make its way up to the brain. However, other studies have found weaker associations – and a Swedish study last year found that people who'd had their appendix removed had a lower chance of getting Parkinson's.

Can't provide a link because this was merely a short item on a page of health and science news; the issue is May 31/June 7, page 21
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I agree, that first sentence is inappropriate. Well. I've still got mine, so fingers crossed that my dreadful short-term memory doesn't develop into anything more serious.

I had a benign ovarian tumor removed when I was 23. I'm told it was the size of a grapefruit (why yes, I had been in a lot of pain) and they took the ovary along with the tumor. I was also told that they had taken the appendix, which was inflamed. However, 40 years later when I had colon cancer surgery, I was told that the oncologist had also taken my gallbladder and appendix. Well I don't think it grew back; I'm guessing that perhaps they only took a piece of it the first time around. So now tell me, what are the odds that I'll get Parkinson's?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information