Thread: Microplastics Have Invaded The Deep Ocean — And The Food Chain

Default Microplastics Have Invaded The Deep Ocean — And The Food Chain

Christopher Joyce
    June 6, 2019
    The largest habitat for life on Earth is the deep ocean. It's home to everything from jellyfish to giant bluefin tuna. But the deep ocean is being invaded by tiny pieces of plastic — plastic that people thought was mostly floating at the surface, and in amounts they never imagined. Very few people have looked for microplastic concentrations at mid- to deep-ocean depths. But there's a place along the California coast where it's relatively easy: The edge of the continent takes a steep dive into the deep ocean at Monterey Bay. Whales and white sharks swim these depths just a few miles offshore.

Keep reading: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...tm_id=35269681
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Microplastics Have Invaded The Deep Ocean — And The Food Chain

Informative read. I always thought the large surface plastic garbage piles were the problem. Never considered deep ocean plastic. This article has taught me to view the plastic problem from a different perspective.

I see more and more communities banning single-use plastic. The trouble is, there are claims from many people that they will use one of these plastic bags as many as seven times before disposing of it permanently. I carry fabric bags to the supermarket but not to the drugstore or department store. Their plastic bags get used for kitty litter disposal, for lining wastebaskets, for refrigerating fresh fruits and vegetables. I'm actually tucking them away against a day when they are no longer available!
    Please don't judge me.

I've read that fabric bags harbor bacteria, like E.coli, and that cross-contamination is more likely when meats are placed in the same bags as produce. This has deterred me from reusable cloth bags. Am I misguided?

Well I've been using them for years, and I've never been sick. I put everything together in the bags, but meat, vegetables etc are in separate plastic bags anyway. It's possible to be too concerned with germs - they're everywhere!

Many supermarkets now put their cardboard boxes near the door for customers to use, and I sometimes take a box if I have a few heavy things. This is what we did in the 60's, before plastic bags.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 06-15-19 at 07:58 PM.

My area of Maine, Somerset County, is a depressed area where unemployment and disability are common. Every one of my medical mj patients is on disability (and many of these are related to traditional Maine employment: farming, fishing, logging — even some from repetitive motion injuries, e.g. the herring canneries). Consequently, very few can spring a dollar or two for fabric bags. Almost everything leaves the supermarket in plastic. Farther south and coastal, BTW, the reverse is true.
    But as Julie says, almost everything's pre-packaged. The only thing going into my fabric bags unwrapped is produce, because I refuse to use the plastic bags provided for the purpose. Occasional bacteria from oranges or avocados do not frighten me... and I throw the bags in the washer occasionally anyway. Mr. Wiz, I don't wipe down the shopping cart handles either, in the belief that the more bacteria I'm exposed to, the more I have introduced my immune system to potential threats that it will be armed to confront and destroy!

Here in the Virgin Islands, it no longer is legal for the markets to give plastic bags for the groceries. So everybody must bring their own bags in with them. Too many of the plastic bags ended up in the sea, where they were deadly to the beings living in the sea. If there are germs on my bags, then so be it.

Thread Information