Thread: The Vitamin A Paradox: Too Much Or Too Little Of A Good Thing?

Default The Vitamin A Paradox: Too Much Or Too Little Of A Good Thing?

Rob Verkerk
    July 3 2019

Vitamin A is an essential vitamin, yet the public is assaulted with more information about its potential harms than its amazing benefits. Even nutritionists are confused, such is the seemingly contradictory and evolving nature of vitamin science.

Why the confusion?

Vitamin A is considered an essential vitamin because it’s essential that we consume it in our diet – we simply can’t live without it. It’s critical for a wide variety of functions. In short, without it, we can’t see, grow, reproduce, or fight off disease. We also can’t have healthy skin or hair – and that might in effect reduce our ability to find a suitable mate! And if that wasn’t enough, some of the latest evidence suggests incredibly important functions in terms of immune system modulation, especially in relation to regulatory T-cells, as well as related gut mucosal immunity and gene expression.

Read more: https://www.anhinternational.org/new...e2933-85014029

Default Re: The Vitamin A Paradox: Too Much Or Too Little Of A Good Thing?

Vitamin A -- too much or too little?? Well, honestly this is not easy to determine. Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin, like vit. E, vit. D, & vit. K. This means these four vitamins require some "fat" in the diet (like olive oil) to be fully used by the body. Also, all four of these fat soluable vitamins work together. A deficiency in one affects the other. So, the amount of vit. A you need depends on how much of the other three fat soluble vits. you're consuming. Also, excess vitamin A and other fat soluble vits. are stored by the liver, affecting how much one needs from day to day. The article makes the point that one can get vit. A from provitamin A carotenoids in colorful fruits & veggies. This requires the body to convert pro-form into vit. A. As we age, our ability to convert provitamin A carotenoids into usable vit. A becomes less and less efficient. I supplement vit. A because I don't trust my body to convert efficiently. As you can see, supplementing with fat soluble vits. is "highly personalized." Just remember this: if you're taking extra vit. D or vit. E or K, you probably need extra vit. A as well.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 07-04-19 at 07:22 PM.

What dose vitamin A do you take Mr Wiz, and how often? I remember to take it around once a week (100 00 IU) as I was concerned about overdose. I also take the other vitamins - D, K and E.

My dose of vit. A varies from day to day, depending on a lot of factors. For ex., when I eat salmon, I don't take any fat solubles because salmon is high in all 4. On other days, when I eat mostly fruits & veggies, I supplement with one retinol fish oil Vit. A capsule of 10,000 IUs, or 300 ug. But, I also take a 200 IU mixed tocopherol vit. E capsule, with about 45 mcg. of vit. K, and about 2,000 IUs of vit. D. My vit. D intake is significantly lower than others, but 2,000 IUs per day is all my body will tolerate comfortably. We're all different, and what works for one will not work for the other. Again, my supplementation with vit. A and other fat soluble vits. is all over the place because it depends heavily on other foods in my diet, my daily activity level, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    What dose vitamin A do you take Mr Wiz, and how often? I remember to take it around once a week (100 00 IU) as I was concerned about overdose. I also take the other vitamins - D, K and E.
    About 2 years ago, I decided to add Vit A to my many daily vitamins for eye health. Vitamin A is typically sold here as 8000IU = 2400 mcg. (Every different vitamin has it's own unique conversion formula to change from mg/mcg to IU.)

Anyway, a subsequent routine, every 6 month, blood work test showed my integrative doctor that there was stress on my liver (ash? as I recall?). He even asked me if I had recently taken up drinking, and I had not, other than my occasional 8 oz glass of DRY RED resveratrol table wine.

Then I remembered hearing about a previous Vit A toxicity discussion, and just like Julieanne, I reduced my Vit A consumption to just twice a week, and the next blood work test showed my liver was back to normal.

Those typical Vit A doses sold by various pharma, and even alternative sources, can be dangerous. IMHO, It would be better if those Vit A capsules were readily available in about, say, 1/10 the amount (such as 800IU/240mcg) for daily lifestyle maintenance consumption, for safety sake.
    https://askthescientists.com/qa/how-...-to-mg-or-mcg/
    Last edited by grulla; 07-05-19 at 01:41 PM.

grulla, thanks for sharing your vit. A experience. Your post has prompted me to reconsider my intake of all my fat soluble vitamins. As I stated above, supplementing with A, E, D, & K is always tricky, and dependent on so many factors. The point to emphasize is that all these vits. are stored in the liver and a little in adipose tissue, too. Extra vit. A is needed when fighting a cold, infection, or chronic diseases. I've also read that "excessive" amounts of vit. A "may" cause hair thinning. Beta carotene found in pumpkin, squash, carrots, dark green leafy veggies, etc. can be converted into vit. A. So, if one's diet is high in foods containing lots of beta carotene, it may be wise to take that into account when trying to determine how much vit. A supplementation is needed.

I rely on a two-per-day multivitamin & mineral supplement (Life Extension, one of the very best quality imo). Other than vitamin C, most other supplements I take are not related to nutrition (e.g. Gingko biloba for memory, magnesium because it's related to such a multitude of health issues).
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

The one thing I find problematic when forum posters discuss vitamins, is the lack of distinction between lifestyle doses VS remedial doses, it's important.

Excellent point, grulla. That's why I said in my post that "extra A" is necessary when one is fighting colds, infections, and/or chronic diseases. I think the key is to start with small amounts, see how your body reacts. Most importantly, know the vit. & mineral composition of the foods you eat routinely and use those as a baseline for supplementing.

Thread Information