Thread: Islander's big adventure

Default Islander's big adventure

Where to begin? History places me in NYC on June 27 for a visit with my Brooklyn family, due home on Sunday, the 30th. Meanwhile, back in Maine, the weather is ominous. Unbeknownst to me, a storm is brewing. High winds and rain sweep through the state Friday night, and Saturday morning I receive a text alert from CMP (Central Maine Power). It reports a power outage at my specific address (very unusual) and adds that 179 households are without power, with estimated restoration time of blah blah. At that moment the actual phone rings. My next door neighbor is calling to tell me that portions of a massive, stately maple tree on my property have fallen across my yard and across the road as well.

It's true. Two "branches," each one as big as a good-sized tree, have taken down the roadside lines and ripped all the wiring from my house, causing considerable property damage to the house itself. My daughter sent out a cry for help to her Facebook friends in Maine and quickly located an electrician wiling to come out Saturday night to assess the situation, and to return on Sunday to make the actual repairs. Which he does, although CMP will not be able to arrive to physically restore power until dusk. For this I'm grateful, since I was not looking forward to spending the evening reading by kerosene lamps. I've done it. It's grim.

Ironically, I reported this tree's hazardous condition to CMP three years ago but nothing was done. I was told when I spoke to them on Monday that they no longer remove dangerous trees from roadsides; the tree is located on my property and hence is my responsibility. I have no idea what my legal obligations may be, but surely I have a moral obligation to take the tree down, knowing that it's a threat to the public (as well as to me and my house)! This will require an arborist, a whole new project.

But wait! There's more! Spectrum, my ISP, cannot reconnect my computer for a full seven days. There is no charge for this, of course, but many others all over the state are victims of high winds so I have to take my place in the queue. This, more than anything, explains why I haven't been on HH for over a week. Trying to manipulate a BBS (Bulletin Board Server) on a phone, even a smartphone, is onerous — to say the least.

I've barely begun to add up the bill. $550 for the electrician. At least $1000 to take down and cut up the tree. Structural damage to the corner of the house is severe, easily $2k; I'm waiting for my contractor to have a look, but the insurance adjustors will be out Monday to put their oar in the water too. Like everyone, I have a $1000 deductible, but who knows what the insurance will be willing to cover (before they raise my rates)?

Oh, a fotnote: the chap from Spectrum hooked me up at the house but was unable to set up his ladder against the pole to reconnect me to the main line: the pole was cracked from top to bottom! He called for a truck to come out and unfold one of their accordion ladders (can't think what the're called, you know what I mean). Done and done!

And here I am. Aren't you glad you ain't me?
    Last edited by Islander; 07-06-19 at 09:36 PM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Islander's big adventure

BTW, one more thing to be grateful for: I am so glad I wasn't home at the time this was happening. I'm sure I would have had an aneurism! Thank the dear Lord, and Allah, and the Hindu trinity of Brama, Vishnu & Shiva, and the whole pantheon of Greek, Roman and Scadinavian gods & goddesses, for your merciful kindness! You shall all receive burnt offerings and myhrr and smudges of sage!

Sorry to hear about your casualties Islander. I hope things are getting straightened out now.

This is terrible news. But, I'm so happy you're OK, and you were not present while all this was going on. A few years ago, a friend had several large oak trees removed "free" from his property in Virginia. The tree removal company sold the trees to a lumber company, and kept the payment from the lumber company as payment in full for removing the trees from his property. How are your bargaining skills?

The important thing is that you did not get hurt. All's well that ends well.

Mr. Wiz, I'm a pretty good negotiator. I've already bargained with my friend (and logger) down the road about the two tree chunks, and the rest of the tree when it's downed. He will cut it, split it, load it on his truck and dump it in my woodpile spot for a very low price (or he would buy it from me, but I have to buy firewood anyway so this is perfect). Today I got the names of two arborists and I'll get quotes from them. I already know the insurance will pay only $500 for tree removal and I have an idea the actual cost will be rather more. That's when I negotiate with Farm Family Mutual. I don't like to take "no" for an answer!

Thread Information