Thread: Spike In Autism May Be Linked To Preservative In Processed Foods

Default Spike In Autism May Be Linked To Preservative In Processed Foods

Robert Glatter
    June 28 2019

Researchers from the University of Central Florida (UCF) just announced intriguing findings which describe cellular changes that develop when neuronal stem cells are exposed to elevated levels of a chemical typically found in processed foods.

The study serves as an example of the importance of the food pregnant women eat, and how it may potentially affect development of the fetal brain.

The study describes how elevated levels of the preservative, propionic acid (PPA)--used to extend shelf life and reduce mold in packaged foods, breads and cheeses—can adversely affect the development and differentiation of neurons in fetal brains in children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD).

Read more: https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertg.../#26261cbf9ae4

Default Re: Spike In Autism May Be Linked To Preservative In Processed Foods

Yet another reason for pregnant women to consume foods in their natural state, with little or no processing and no added chemicals and preservatives. I'm sure future studies will reveal even more chemicals and preservatives that are harmful to the developing fetuses. Make no mistake, I fully understand the ease and convenience of using pre-packaged foods, especially for moms who work outside the home. I get it. But, I believe more pregnant women would strive to eat more whole foods if more obstetricians, certified nursing-midwives, family physicians, doulas, and others involved in her prenatal care would make a greater effort to encourage her to do so. Instead, the typical prenatal caregiver pays little attention to the packaged foods diet, but encourages her to take "prenatal vitamins." A truly whole foods diet during pregnancy would greatly diminish, if not eliminate, the need for prenatal vitamins, except where a special need exist for nutrients that can't be achieved through normal diet.

Great advice, Mr. Wizard. Why why why can't it be put into practice everywhere?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Great advice, Mr. Wizard. Why why why can't it be put into practice everywhere?
    Because, generally, most of us have not been educated on the benefits of a whole foods diet. Pregnant women surrender themselves to the "professionals," who don't know the value of a whole foods diet, especially the value for a pregnant woman. Consequently, the best most prenatal professionals can do is to encourage the mommy-to-be to take prenatal vitamins. And, unfortunately, most of the prenatal vitamins are synthetic and don't begin to measure up to the nutrients the pregnant woman would obtain from clean, fresh whole foods.

I was going to say, don't doctors tell most pregnant women to eat healthy, which they probably interpret as avoiding fast foods and sodas? But then I remembered that a lot of pregnant women never see a doctor at all... And even common sense isn't even all that common.

My daughter was pregnant 7 yrs. ago. Her OB-GYN never coached her on diet. During her first visit, my daughter filled out a multi-faceted questionnaire, which included a few questions about her eating habits, and that was that. The prenatal vitamins prescribed were synthetic and didn't include many critical nutrients. So, I trashed her synthetic prenatal vits. and purchased a supply of organic, whole food vitamins & minerals. During her 5th month or so, my daughter's iron level was low. Funny thing, the doc never associated my daughter's low iron level with a dietary deficiency. She simply prescribed some type of iron medication. I intervened and told my daughter to take organic dessicated liver capsules, which quickly and naturally corrected the problem. The doc was always highly complimentary of my daughter's progress, but never once inquired about her diet.

I want to say that's shocking, but I know better. Medical students, right up until they earn their M.D. or D.O., have fewer than 6 credits in nutrition; three is more common. And you can be sure it's the FDA/USDA model of the food pyramid or that image of a plate. They'll never hear that sugar and starchy carbs are what's putting us on the road to obesity and diabetes. When I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, we diabetics were encouraged to attend some introductory classes on managing our condition. A simple buffet was laid out for us: cold cuts, American cheese food, fluffy white rolls, mayo and soda sweetened with aspartame. I almost came to blows with the nurses in charge of the presentation, over the canned soda which they repeatedly assured me the FDA pronounced safe. I copied some articles to give them at the next meeting, but I expect they just tossed them in the trash.

I want to believe most docs want to spend more time discussing diet with mommy-to-be, but that's not the business model. The goal is high volume. Can't spend too much time with any one patient. Dietary counseling takes too much time. According to a 2018 Medscape Physicians Compensation Survey, physicians reported "on average" spending about 11-15 minutes with patients. However, the time spent varied across medical specialties. Ob/Gyns reported the following times spent with patients: -- 9-12 minutes (27%); 13-16 minutes (34%); and 17-24 minutes (27%). A detailed discussion about diet and proper nutrition certainly doesn't appear possible in 9 to 12 minutes. The chances improve with the 17-24 min. window, but not by a lot. And, she's only seeing the doc once every 4 or 5 weeks for the first 28 weeks...not a lot of opportunities to get solid dietary counseling.

Along the same lines, I've also heard doctors quoted as saying, Sure, we'd all like to talk about diet and exercise but what's the point? Nobody wants to listen to that.

There are many patients who ignore the doc's advice on diet and exercise. And, I'm sure that's discouraging for the doc after a while. Not sure the doc should stop trying to reach the few patients who would listen and heed the advice. I think of educators who see unmotivated, uninspired students everyday. But, educators don't give up. They continue to teach and inspire for the few in the class who want to achieve.

And sometimes the light goes on for some of those unmotivated kids. I agree — we need to keep planting seeds!

Thread Information