Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishless Fish? Impossible Foods Is Developing Fake Seafood For Vegetarians

Default Re: Fishless Fish? Impossible Foods Is Developing Fake Seafood For Vegetarians

I'd like to think that regular readers here understand the concept of regenerative agriculture (and if you're not clear on that, please read the above article). One thing I'd like to clarify: all cattle are grass-fed. The phrase is just as pertinent as "all natural" which is, of course, meaningless. Would consumers buy anything unnatural? Cattle are grazed on pasture from birth onward; it's their original food supply. Commercial cattle, however, are moved to a feedlot for the last 4-5 months of their life. In confinement they are fed primarily corn and soy to "finish" them. ("Finishing" is a term used in animal agriculture, specifically beef and lamb. You want meat to be marbled, i.e. veins of fat running through it, because fat is where the flavor comes from, but it's a careful balance because too much fat is a waste of time and money, and the excess will only be trimmed away. It's possible to tell by feeling the ribs when a steer or lamb is ready).
    In other words, to call a piece of meat "grass-fed" is meaningless since beef and lamb are both grazers. The key is, are they grass-finished? That's the meat you want — not the feedlot meat, finished on GMO grains. Grass-finished can be just as marbled and tasty, it just takes a bit longer to add that layer of fat.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Fishless Fish? Impossible Foods Is Developing Fake Seafood For Vegetarians

So, where do you find grass-finished meat? I read labels that state "grass-fed" beef, etc., but I've never seen a label indicating grass finished?

Where do we find it? This depends largely upon where we live. If we are solely dependent upon supermarkets for all of our food, this can be difficult. Mr Wizard is correct, the label would need to speak loudly of the meat having been grass fed, grass finished. I am fortunate to have local beef, goat meat, etc. available, butchered locally. One can see the animals walking around in their pasture (or sometimes out in the road) grazing as one drives up to the farm store. Not everyone can be so fortunate. Of course, there is only one abattoir, as well; when it is broken down (quite frequently) there is no meat for a while.

What Maurya said. Here in Maine it's easy to buy from a local farmer whose methods you know, or from a store that carries locally grown meats.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    Suckers: Another one born every minute.
    Fake Hake: https://www.thedailymeal.com/what-hake/4214

To Do List: Find a local butcher who sells grass-finished meat!!

Grulla, there's nothing wrong with hake, it's a splendid fish. No, it's not fair to substitute for a pricier species, but in and of itself, it's good eating!

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Grulla, there's nothing wrong with hake, it's a splendid fish. No, it's not fair to substitute for a pricier species, but in and of itself, it's good eating!
    Fake 'n Hake, NO SENSE OF HUMORE, lol. Agreed, the hake is related to the cod and Alaskan pollock, both of which I like very much partly due to the flaky meat texture. https://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/sf_codz.html 4th item.

"Islander", "In other words, to call a piece of meat grass-fed is meaningless since beef and lamb are both grazers. The key is, are they grass-finished? That's the meat you want — not the feedlot meat, finished on GMO grains."

Please correct me if you think I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that totally grassfed beef is the exception and not the rule, whereas totally grassfed lamb is the rule, and grassfed, grain finish lamb can be the exception, as demonstrated in this Superior Lamb Co. ad, :
    https://superiorfarms.com/ In order to get around stubborn pop-up, bottom of home page says,
    "Superior farms lamb is all natural, American lamb that grazes mainly on open pasture lands, and may be fed a supplemental grain diet as needed."
    Last edited by grulla; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:04 PM. Reason: eliminate quotes from 'grassfed'

I don't see the popup you refer to (do you use an ad blocker?); I do see the statement you quote, but I would not normally have read the whole page including that fine print. Sneaky of them. At least they're honest.
    I was a sheepbreeder for 25 years. I recall finishing my lambs on grain, but this was before the days of GMO livestock feed. TBH, I think most breeders do finish them on grain, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    ... I was a sheepbreeder for 25 years. I recall finishing my lambs on grain, but this was before the days of GMO livestock feed. TBH, I think most breeders do finish them on grain, but I could be wrong.
    I've been giving a lot of thought to the idea of finishing off short lived ruminants on grain, PROVIDED that (1) the grain is organic and (2) it's the right kind of grain to produce proper essential fat (tallow), and "Islander", how about pigs for the lard??? We would never feed grain to our long lived horses, other than to keep some oats at hand as a training bribe or lure to avoid driving or chasing them, a big no no, except perhaps for draft horses under harness or in a round pen for training.

One time, we had an equine dentist from Oklahoma visit us to check for any dental problems, and all (at the time appx) 14 or so horses got a clean bill of dental health, for the simple reason that we never fed them ANY grain. But short lived meat producers would/could be a whole 'nother matter.
    Last edited by grulla; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:00 PM.

"Islander" "I was a sheepbreeder for 25 years." I have long wondered what the difference is between lamb and mutton. I love leg-of-lamb, 24 hour slow roasted Adele Davis method, as well as having occasional small, breakfast sized portions of lamb steak for breakfast with my veggie omelet, which I can purchase at reasonable prices at the SM, and a lot healthier than STORE BOUGHT brk. sausage. (corrected)

However, I have often suspected that there is little difference between lamb and mutton, a conventional wisdom BS, probably perpetuated by the gourmet establishment. And if in fact there are differences, there is also a big gray area involved. I also believe a lot of the lamb I purchase, especially the lamb steaks, may well in fact be older mutton. In the link below, it states:

"Mutton: Mutton is meat from a sheep that is older than 1 year, ideally 3 years old. It is an intense red color and contains a considerable amount of fat. Its flavor is very strong, and you might have to acquire the taste before being able to enjoy a meal of mutton if you're an American."

I would think all that fat (tallow) in mutton would be beneficial as long as the animals were grazed and fed properly.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/the-di...mutton-2356034
    Last edited by grulla; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:56 AM.

You answered your own question. It's a matter of age. I was married to a native Irishman for 28 years, and mutton may be the national dish of Ireland. If a ewe, for whatever reason, could no longer be bred, we ate her. Yes, the flavor is a bit more pronounced than that of a younger animal, but if you like lamb, I don't see why you wouldn't like mutton as well.

You also ask, ""Islander", how about pigs for the lard?" What about it? What's your question?
    Around the world, lard and bacon fat may historically be the most common source of fats in the human diet. Leaf lard (the fat around the kidneys) is the whitest and the most highly valued for its mild flavor and flaky piecrusts. I doubt you can buy it in any market; you have to raise pigs, or know someone who does. I treasure all pig fat, because of course mine are raised organically. I've even sold lard to several Mercola members!

I don't see why lamb is healthier than sausage, but that depends on the source of the lamb and the sausage, of course. I make breakfast sausage from ground pork. Nothing could be healthier!

"I don't see why lamb is healthier than sausage, but that depends on the source of the lamb and the sausage, of course. I make breakfast sausage from ground pork. Nothing could be healthier!" Corrected above, "...STORE BOUGHT brk. sausage..."

Please use quote function... or when it's an immediate rely to a preceding post, just make the reply, as I'm doing here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information