Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishless Fish? Impossible Foods Is Developing Fake Seafood For Vegetarians

Default Fishless Fish? Impossible Foods Is Developing Fake Seafood For Vegetarians

Rachel Desantis
    July 10 2019

The plant-based company hopes to offer a replacement for every animal-based food by 2035.

Impossible Foods is cooking up something sure to make even more of a splash than their Impossible Burger: a fish product totally free of fish.
    The California company known for whipping up patties made entirely of plants has set its sights on doing the same for seafood, according to the New York Times.
    “The only way we can succeed is to make fish from plants that is more delicious than the fish that’s strip mined from the ocean,” chief executive Pat Brown told the publication.

Read more https://people.com/food/impossible-b..._Gf2q7j8w5YGnU

Default Re: Fishless Fish? Impossible Foods Is Developing Fake Seafood For Vegetarians

All these Impossible fish and burger patties will be known as "Fake 'n Bake"

Default Re: Fishless Fish? Impossible Foods Is Developing Fake Seafood For Vegetarians

Based on my research, it appears the CEO & Founder of Impossible Foods is "the real deal." Dr. Patrick O'Reilly Brown is a former Stanford Univ. professor and former pediatrician, who decided that raising animals for meat was the world's biggest environmental problem. His goal was to develop plant-based meat, fish & dairy products to help save the environment. The plant-based company, headquartered in California, was stood up in 2011 and is now worth "Billions." In May, it began market testing a plant-based sausage on Little Ceasar's pizzas. Hmm. I wonder if they have to tell pizza lovers the sausage on their pizza didn't come from a pig. That's not all. There's another plant-based company called Beyond Meat, that's been around longer than Impossible Food. It sprung up in 2009. One of Beyond Meat's earliest investors was the poultry industry giant--Tysons Foods--an eventual competitor--that purchased a 5% interest in Beyond Meat before cashing out and making a ton of money. Given the apparent success of these meatless, plant-based companies, it's a good bet we'll be hearing lots more about plant-based, meatless products. Oh, before venturing into its fish products, Impossible Foods released its new and improved version of its burger, Impossible Burger 2.0. See what I mean???

I don't object to the principle of plant-based meat and fish, but "The heme is made by fermenting a genetically engineered yeast and injecting it with DNA from soy plants" is what spoils the idea. If they could make fish etc without the GE ingredients I would try it out of curiosity.

Several years ago my son sailed from Fremantle (West Australia) to Townsville in Queensland - a long journey. They lived on fresh fish, sprouts and home-made bread. He couldn't do it today, the fish are almost all gone. We will be seeing more plant-based foods in future.

It will be interesting to read the ingredient list, that says it all.

First, I have to comment on "raising animals for meat was the world's biggest environmental problem." Water consumption and cow farts would have to run pretty fast to overtake methane clathrates, airline travel, vehicle emissions and the effects of the polar vortex. And in fact, some fruits/nuts/vegetables require more water per food unit than cattle.

And I like Grulla's "Fake 'n Bake!" Whenever humans begin to dick around with real foods in order to represent them as some other kind of real foods, disaster invariably ensues. No thank you!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I agree with you all. I don't want any part of "test tube" meat, fish or poultry. The GMO ingredients isn't the worse of these products. However, I was surprised to see that 2 major companies have been around for a decade, selling their products all over the world to the tune of billions of dollars. The hard reality is that consumers will be inundated with more and more of these meatless products as our fish continue to disappear and environmentalists and legislators demand changes in the way meat is currently produced, as envisioned in the Green New Deal, for example.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 07-20-19 at 04:00 PM.

Update: U.S. restaurants can't keep up with consumer demand for "meatless burgers." The company, Impossible Foods, is working employees 12 hours a day to keep up with demand. White Castle, which sells another meatless burger, is also finding it difficult to keep the plant-based burgers in stock. Wow!! Who knew?? Read more of the details here:
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/27/busin...eat/index.html

Suckers: Another one born every minute.

I think it's a challenge to stay healthy on a vegetarian/vegan diet. I know only three people who have done it successfully for years, and one of them looks like death in a wheelchair. I've read many accounts, on the other hand, of people who abandoned such a restricted diet because of their declining health. My younger son was one of them.
    But what puzzles me is this growing desire for imitation meat and fish products. It's hard for me to understand why people who voluntarily abandoned their consumption of these foods should voluntarily adopt them again in a disguised format. It's as if they're saying, "Yippee, I can have a burger again!"
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    . But what puzzles me is this growing desire for imitation meat and fish products."
    There are many people who like eating meat but dislike the way it is raised and feel uncomfortable about killing animals. So this is a compromise for their conscience. Fake meat is also attractive for someone starting on a vegetarian diet, weaning away from eating meat.

Yes, it is a compromise for their conscience, but at what cost? This food is so deceptive, a chemical shit storm at best, and should salve nobody's conscience. As usual, this is based on a quite short sighted view of how animals are fed and are raised. For example cattle fed with corn and soybeans are in no way healthy animals, nor is that practice remotely sustainable for the environment. Commonly overlooked are the cattle who are eating the proper grasses which they actually can digest, and which do grow in grassland areas that are unsuitable for raising food that can be consumed directly by humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    There are many people who like eating meat but dislike the way it is raised and feel uncomfortable about killing animals. So this is a compromise for their conscience. Fake meat is also attractive for someone starting on a vegetarian diet, weaning away from eating meat.
    Everything Julieanne said!!! And, I would add some of the people eating these meatless burgers (mostly millennials) believe they're protecting the environment and doing their bit for climate change by helping to eliminate methane, produced by cows and hogs. I wonder how long this enthusiasm will last, especially among the millennials because this is also the generation most concerned about un-natural ingredients in their food, according to a couple of recent surveys. I can only surmise they haven't done their homework yet to know that these burgers are (in the Maurya's eloquent words) "a chemical shit storm."

Maurya and Mr Wiz, I agree, but there have been 'meatless meat' products on the market for several years now, long before the Impossible Burger. They don't appeal to me, but vegan and vegetarian products are not all so unhealthy. The number of vegetarian products available in the supermarket has risen over the years, as vegetarianism and veganism grows in popularity. so I think "this enthusiasm will last" and continue to grow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information