Thread: I have to vent... about laundry!!

Default I have to vent... about laundry!!

First, read the story. Really, a quick skim is enough.

You Asked: Does Washing My Clothes Kill All the Germs?
    Markham Heid
    February 22, 2017

Laundry serves far nobler purposes than stamping out body odor. It also protects you from getting sick. (Brace yourself, because this is going to get gross in a hurry.)
    Imagine that someone who lives in your house is ill. A single gram of his fecal matter contains millions of viruses, and exposure to just a hundred of those viruses can make you sick, says Kelly Reynolds, a germ researcher and associate professor of environmental health at the University of Arizona.
    Regardless of how assiduously he wipes, the average person has about a tenth of a gram of fecal residue in his underwear, says Chuck Gerba, a professor of microbiology at Arizona. If you’re washing that sick person’s underwear with your own, chances are very good that his sickness-causing organisms are going to make their way onto your clothing.

Want more? https://time.com/4676920/washing-mac...t=2019072216pm

Now, my take:

Seriously? Are you kidding me? OMG OMG, germs in my laundry, run away, run away!

Right off the bat, first paragraph, he's talking about dirty underwear. This I do not pretend to understand. "Fecal residue"? "Skid marks"? Unless someone actually is sick, as in, diarrhea, why should there be fecal residue on anything? Yes, I pat my butt after a movement, because sometimes there's a little moisture, but no sign of fecal residue. The only time I've seen anything like that was when I dated a charming Irishman who was an alcoholic (or maybe just one of those "drunken Irish" sort). I figured it was the alcohol that gave him a loose stool.

But the biggest issue is the author's germophobia. It's as if he is setting out to transmit his baseless fear of the invisible and unknowable to every housewife who reads Time magazine. And he's not alone; lots of people share his fear... or maybe they've just seen too many commercials for those sprays or handwipes or antibacterial cloths in supermarket foyers. To be honest, I'd be much more afraid of what's on my supermarket chicken than what's on the handle of my shopping cart.

I stand with Pierre Jacques Antoine Béchamp, a French chemist and rival of Louis Pasteur, and the one who maintained, "It's not the germ, it's the terrain." Sure, germs transmit disease. That's not the point. We are surrounded by germs. We inhale them with every breath. We contact them with everything we touch. Shopping carts? How about subway posts? Everything you touch on a subway is alive with bacteria. Even the Black Plague has been found among NYC subway germs. So why are we not all flattened with deadly diseases?

The terrain.

If you are a normal, reasonably healthy person, with a functioning immune system, your microbiome is on the alert. Your immune system is familiar with every germ you have ever met and stands prepared to defend you. Support it with ample doses of vitamin C and get lots of midday sun to fill your vitamin D tanks. Forget flu shots; those viruses don't stand a chance against your steel-belted terrain.

That's my theory. It has worked for me. I sometimes get in trouble, but I never get sick. I do keep an open mind. Please disagree with me if you think I'm mistaken.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: I have to vent... about laundry!!

"Right off the bat, first paragraph, he's talking about dirty underwear. This I do not pretend to understand. "Fecal residue"? "Skid marks"? Unless someone actually is sick, as in, diarrhea, why should there be fecal residue on anything?"

People can use a LOT of T-paper trying to keep things clean, but I have been using a hose bidet for appx 30 years, as I posted last year, to help keep things clean, both inside and outside, as previously described on this HH thread:
    https://www.hawkeshealth.net/communi...ighlight=bidet POST #14, and save a rain forest.

Grulla, I've read about your makeshift bidet. Muslim countries use water too. What I'm wondering is what "things" there are to keep clean. The train pulls into the station, the passengers disembark. They step out the door. They don't leave their footsteps on the platform. Why the need for all that t.p.?

"The train pulls into the station, the passengers disembark. They step out the door. They don't leave their footsteps on the platform. Why the need for all that t.p.?"
    Not sure I understand your comment reply, but my best guess would be improper diet???

I agree with you Islander. there is far too much germaphobia. TV advertising is partly to blame. A lady came to do some basic house cleaning a couple of months ago. I had to stop her from pouring disinfectant down the toilet and in the bathroom sink. I tried to explain why, but she was too dim to understand. Did she think 'germs' in the toilet are going to jump up and bite her on the bum?

I wash my clothes to get them clean, not sterile, and I do all my laundry in cold water.

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    ...my best guess would be improper diet???
    If there is something on the skin that requires paper to be wiped away then yes, my guess would be something in the diet.

Thread Information