Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ignored Vitamin Cure For Macular Degeneration

Default The Ignored Vitamin Cure For Macular Degeneration

Bill Sardi
    June 20, 2019

If you want to avert the development of a sight-robbing disease called macular degeneration you are going to have to step outside modern medicine. Eye doctors only have treatment but no prevention for this dastardly eye disease that robs senior adults of their central vision for reading, driving and watching TV.
    Don’t bother your eye doctor about this proposed vitamin cure for macular degeneration. Your eye doctor will demand a controlled human study before he/she prescribes a vitamin. There are no published human studies to confirm its safety and effectiveness and none are planned. So, it is unproven (but not disproven).

Keep reading: https://www.lewrockwell.com/2019/06/...-degeneration/
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: The Ignored Vitamin Cure For Macular Degeneration

I saw this article about a week or two ago, and for whatever reason, I forgot/neglected to post it on HH. Thanks for spotting it "Islander". What a wonderful and informative eye health article. Leave it to free thinking, libertarian inclined, Lew Rockwell to publish something like this Vit B1/thiamine article. I'm going for a periodic ophthalmologist visit in two weeks, but probably won't waste my time telling the eye doctor about this article. These allopathic types may be good for diagnosis, but terrible on big pharma remedies.

To "cure" macular degeneration using vitamin B1 will require amounts achieved only via supplementation, which will be necessary for weeks, if not months. Taking just vitamin B1 over a period of months often creates deficiencies in other B vitamins, as the nine B Complex vitamins depend on each other to work effectively. At minimum, B1 supplementation should be combined with B2, as these two are most co-dependent. But, when one vitamin is being isolated to treat a condition, it is best to periodically supplement with the entire B Complex to avoid creating a deficiency in another.

Great article, thanks Islander. I'm inclined to try this, as I have COPD and my night vision is not what it was. Surprised there was no suggestion of dosage, though the tablets he sells have a high dose of 50mg. The mixed B supplement I take, made from natural ingredients, has 5 mg. I have no idea how much I may get from food.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 07-25-19 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    To "cure" macular degeneration using vitamin B1 will require amounts achieved only via supplementation, which will be necessary for weeks, if not months.....
    That's a good example of what we recently discussed on another thread about the importance and distinctions of maintenance/lifestyle doses VS remedial doses when using vitamins/supplements for health reasons.

I agree completely with Mr. Wizard about creating an imbalance in the B-complex. I was hoping when I posted that someone would bring that up. Such a practice is unwise and I don't plan to pursue it. However, because I have other conditions related to vitamin B deficiency (e.g. depression, trigger finger), I do take a daily B-complex in addition to the multivite-mineral.

Update: Yesterday I went for a 6-month follow-up on my macular degeneration diagnosis. You may remember that on the advice of my optometrist, I bought a bottle of an OTC supplement, PreserVision. It was so expensive, and the ingredients were so common, that I put together my own formula copied from the ingredients on the label at about 1/3 the cost. All my supplements are sourced from reliable sources like Life Extension and Vitacost.

In our interview, the doctor pointed out his obligation to state that my formula, however well-intentioned, was unlikely to be as effective as the branded product. Point taken. Then he proceeded to examine the findings from all the testing I had undergone in the preceding 45 minutes. The results? Macular degeneration was stable, no change. Minor indication of diabetic-related retinal pathology, noted but not mentioned 6 months ago, had been reversed. He didn't come right out and say that the formula I devised was clearly working; he did say that the macular degeneration may not worsen for the rest of my life. Ha!

Veteran Member

That's great news, Islander. I'm happy for you.

"Update", Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Update: Yesterday I went for a 6-month follow-up on my macular degeneration diagnosis....."In our interview, the doctor pointed out his obligation to state that my formula, however well-intentioned, was unlikely to be as effective as the branded product. Point taken.!
    I beg to differ with the doc's assessment that your formula was unlikely to be as effective as PreserVision. In fact, I say it's a "bunch of baloney." As I mentioned when you were deciding whether to buy, Preservision contains both zinc and copper. They compete with each other for absorption. Typically, when the two are combined into one capsule, zinc is absorbed over copper. To avoid the competition for absorption, they are more effective when not taken together. Because your formula allowed you to take them at different times during the day, I would argue that your formula was very likely more effective than the doc's prescription. Sorry, but like the doc, I felt it was my obligation to state my dissenting view. How pompous of him to denigrate your formula.

Thank you all! Yes, Mr. Wiz, I take the copper and lutein in the morning and the rest with my midday meal or in the evening. And of course I snack on vitamin C multiple times.

That's good news Islander. Does this formula also delay cataracts?

I doubt it. Ingredients like lutein specifically target the macula.
    Now, all my friends my age or even younger have had cataract surgery and I have no cataracts. When reviewing my history, the orthopedic surgeon specifically asked about cataracts because they weren't on my list of medical issues. I said I had no cataracts. She said, "No, because you had surgery, right?" and I said No, I just do. not. have. cataracts. She still seemed to not quite believe me. I seriously believe it's on account of the mega vitamin C I have taken all my adult life. It's also because my dexa scan showed no trace of osteoporosis; my bones are both strong and flexible. Remember Sayer Ji claims that osteoporosis is "scurvy of the bones." To me that explains everything.
    It's just too too simplistic. No one is prepared to accept the healing power of vitamin C.

Y'all might also be interested in researching bilberry extract for eye health such as these website examples:
    https://www.verywellhealth.com/bilbe...ter-eyes-88869
    https://draxe.com/nutrition/fruit/bilberry/
    Last edited by grulla; 07-28-19 at 07:12 PM.

Bravo Zulu Islander!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information