Thread: Listeria found on leafy greens at major grocery stores including Costco, Whole Foods

Default Listeria found on leafy greens at major grocery stores including Costco, Whole Foods

Morgan Hines
    July 26, 2019

Consumer Reports has found that major grocery stores such as Whole Foods, Acme, Costco and Hannaford have been selling some greens carrying listeria.
    The study they conducted, prompted by recent romaine outbreaks, included 284 samples of varying greens including kale, spinach, lettuce and others. In that selection, six samples were tainted with Listeria monocytogenes.
    Martin Wiedmann, a food safety professor at Cornell University, told USA TODAY that Listeria monocytogenes causes disease. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1,600 people are infected by the bacteria species yearly, and about 260 die.

Continue reading: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/07/26/consumer-reports-has-found-listeria-leafy-greens-major-supermarkets/1836997001/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_ campaign=usatoday-newstopstories
    Last edited by Islander; 07-26-19 at 08:43 PM. Reason: italicize journal titles, tighten spacing

Default Re: Listeria found on leafy greens at major grocery stores including Costco, Whole Fo

Every other day it seems there's another listeria outbreak. I include oregano & oregano oil, raw garlic, ginger, and vitamin C in my diet almost everyday to help prevent illness due to bacterial infection. Listeria, like other bacteria, lurks on most foods. It is almost next to impossible to avoid, which is why I incorporate natural antibiotics, like the few mentioned above, in my daily diet.

Default Re: Listeria found on leafy greens at major grocery stores including Costco, Whole Fo

I always buy 16 oz. tubs of organic spinach at Wally (for appx $6.00 USD) for my everyday veggie skillett/omelet, and since it's (lightly) heated, I guess that has kept me out of trouble, while providing my iron as well as calcium needs, (instead of ANY dairy other than ghee). Otherwise, I get all my other organic veggies at my local food co-op

Thank heavens cabbage is not included in that listeria list, as that is a big deal for me as another leafy green used for my dairy-free coleslaw salad, which involves many other ingredients such as broccoli, cucumbers, pimentos, green or red onion rings, shaved carrot, black beans, green olives stuffed with even more pimentos, mushrooms, green peas, etc., and garnished with EVOO, balsamic, wine or ACV, coarse garlic powder, oregano, parsley, caraway seed, and perhaps more, and mostly all organic. However, for whatever reason (???), I have not used the above mentioned spinach in that coleslaw salad, which is not to say I won't use it, provided of course, there is no report of listeria?? Now you know why I refer to coleslaw as coleslaw salad, lol.
    Last edited by grulla; 07-26-19 at 08:40 PM.

Thread Information