Thread: Nutrition Science Is Broken. This New Egg Study Shows Why.

Default Nutrition Science Is Broken. This New Egg Study Shows Why.

Timothy F. Kirn

At turns lauded and vilified, the humble egg is an example of everything wrong with nutrition studies.

IT’S BEEN A TORTUOUS PATH FOR THE HUMBLE EGG. For much of our history, it was a staple of the American breakfast — as in, bacon and eggs. Then, starting in the late 1970s and early 1980s, it began to be disparaged as a dangerous source of artery-clogging cholesterol, a probable culprit behind Americans’ exceptionally high rates of heart attack and stroke. Then, in the past few years, the chicken egg was redeemed and once again touted as an excellent source of protein, unique antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin, and many vitamins and minerals, including riboflavin and selenium, all in a fairly low-calorie package.

Read more: https://undark.org/2019/07/18/scienc...TGstCzeFxHS2y8

➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Nutrition Science Is Broken. This New Egg Study Shows Why.

Another study beating up on eggs. What makes this study bad is it's an "observational" study, or simply a survey of what people remember about eating eggs. The egg - cholesterol myth was really hyped in the early 70s with the advent of the egg substitute product called egg beaters. For most people, dietary cholesterol is not the problem. The body makes its own cholesterol in the liver. If one is obese, or skinny with a waist larger than 35 inches (women) and 40 for men, has consistently high blood sugar, then your body is likely to produce more cholesterol than normal. Cutting out eggs will not correct any of these situations. Also, there's a fairly common condition known as familial hypercholesterolemia or FH which is a hereditary condition that causes high overall cholesterol levels, especially LDL. People with FH don't know they have it unless they get tested for the mutated gene. The bad thing about these observational studies is they don't typically account for any of the above situations before concluding that eggs cause high cholesterol. The story is so much more complicated.

The takeaway from this article is really in the last 4 paragraphs. Observational studies are unreliable and day-by-day or double-blind studies are almost impossible to conduct outside of an institution.
    [But I still think broccoli and broccoli sprouts are superfoods]

I see no DISTINCTIONS in the article as to free range, organic eggs VS CAFO eggs, or what might be blended with the eggs in an omelet recipe or other side dish items and/or ingredients (such as sugar or non essential fats margarine, corn oil, etc) where the egg is combined in the same dish with adverse food items and wrongly becomes the scapegoat culprit.

I have an organic, free range, 3 egg veggie omelet/skillet lightly heated/simmered each and every morning in CCO, and a small piece of lamb steak, natural breakfast sausage or bacon on the side with a single slice of Berlin Bakery lightly toasted sourdough spelt bread with a little calcium-free ghee, (and otherwise NO dairy), preceded by a bowl of WHOLE oat groats, with apple, Ceylon Indus cinnamon, and a little ghee.

At 73 Y.O., now slightly shrunk 2" over the years from 5'11" to 5'9", (near) normal @ around 120/80 BP, and 180-185 lbs, all my bloodwork tests are normal, especially in regard to cholesterol. (And Vit D @ 60 ng/ml). Only my prostrate PSA has been slightly high, but being treated well with the elimination of nodular prostate growths through herbal remedies by my integrative MD. (I'm currently awaiting the new results of last Monday's updated prostate ultrasound test). Important details and DISTINCTIONS in various health articles are all too often biased and (convenient conflict-of-interest) overlooked.
    Last edited by grulla; 08-01-19 at 09:51 AM.

I know you fast for a long period but so do I and wow, that is a huge breakfast! I break my fast around 1 p.m. with 2 softboiled eggs with butter... or 1/3 cup oatmeal or quinoa flakes with berries or grated ginger root... or maybe a tossed salad. Seriously, what you have for breakfast would furnish a full day's meals for me with some left over!

Oh, and that egg study was meaningless, just an example of the typical observational study that proves nothing — just more evidence of how nutritional "research" in the USA is broken.

"Nutrition Science is Broken" I donate blood quite often, anywhere from 6-12 times a year, sometimes violating the 56 day (8 week) waiting rule to the next donation established by all the blood donation agencies, by traveling to 2 different blood donation agencies in 2 different states.

One time you ("Islander") suggested to me to consume liver to keep my hemoglobin and/or ferritin levels high enough. I like nutritionally dense liver, but it is not easy to prepare every day. What is easy to "prepare" every day is liverwurst, (LW) which I like very much. However the LW sold at the SMs, (like John Morell), is loaded with all kinds of chemical preservatives, not to mention cows from CAFO sources. Just recently, I found an online website, U.S. Wellness Meats, that produces nutritionally dense "organic" liverwurst, (and other beef biproducts) from grass fed cows. They come in 1 lb roles, and also scrap ends. I negotiated, with a 15% discount, for 7 1 lb rolls, at an optimum price, to be shipped packed in dry ice, 6 of which will be immediately stored in the outdoor chest freezer. I can't wait to try this, mmmmm, liverwurst. They describe and tout below the Jeffrey Dach MD link:

https://jeffreydachmd.com/2013/04/do...heart-disease/ Keep your blood fresh by exercising your bone marrow blood reproductive "mechanism" while monitoring hemoglobin and ferritn blood levels.

What Is Liverwurst?
    Liverwurst (also known as liver sausage) can be made from pork or beef liver and generally includes other meats and a variety of spices depending on the recipe. It's extremely popular in many European countries. Common recipes often vary by country as well as the style. Some varieties are spreadable similar to a pate or paste while others are more simiilar to summer sausage in consistency.

US Wellness Meats’ Beef Liverwurst is a mixture of grass-fed beef trim (50%), liver (20%), heart (15%), and kidney (15%). It is the boldest organ sausage US Wellness Meats offers and is a tasty way to incorporate healthy grass-fed beef organs into your diet.
    Our Liverwurst is sliceable when thawed and is not a spreadable variety. If you prefer a spreadable version, it is possible to combine our liverwurst with cream cheese or sourcream in your food processor.
    Is Liverwurst (Liver Sausage) Good For You?
    In a word...Yes! Organ meats are possibly the most nutrient dense foods available and offer a concentrated source of vitamins, minerals, essential amino acids and healthy fats. Our organ meats are particularly rich in vitamin B12 and Folate, antioxidant CoQ10, as well as important minerals like iron, magnesium, selenium and zinc. It's also loaded with concentrations of Vitamins A, D, E, and K.

All you have to do is thaw and enjoy. Beef Liverwurst is also free of soy, sweetener, dairy, MSG, additives, binders, and preservatives.
    If you have more questions about Organ Sausages, visit US Wellness Meats' Organ Sausages blog. There you can find recipes, storage suggestions, and more.
    Ingredients: beef, beef liver, beef kidneys, beef heart, water, sea salt, onion powder, white pepper, coriander, marjoram, allspice
    Each Beef Liverwurst package weighs approximately 1 pound.
    All of US Wellness Meats’ beef products are 100% grass-fed and grass-finished.

Last edited by Islander; 08-01-19 at 07:13 PM.

If you give blood often, you know your hemoglobin is right where it should be; they wouldn't allow you to donate if it weren't. Why would you want to eat liver (or liverwurst) every day? Your body doesn't need it and you'd soon do yourself harm, since that amount of vitamin A would become toxic, sooner or later. Once a week for a liver product is more than enough. Besides, since breakfast is already covered, you'd have your SIL making liver daily fr your noon meal, and I suspect she'd soon tire of that!
    Seriously, don't overdose on vitamin A.

Wait, you said, "...it is not easy to prepare every day." Hard to imagine anything easier! Melt a little bacon fat, sauté that slab of goodness briefly on one side, flip it over, go just until nice and pink in the middle, plate it! Most people make the mistake of overcooking, and then it's as hard and tasteless as an old flattened gasoline can!

"If you give blood often, you know your hemoglobin is right where it should be; they wouldn't allow you to donate if it weren't." That's right, Vitalant (formerly UBS/UBD) allows bewteen 13.0 - 17.0 inclusive, and Red Cross is between 13.0 to 19.0 incl.

However, the blood bank phlebotomists often and inaccurately refer to that as "iron", however, I've been warned by 3 credible sources, to observe my true blood iron, "ferritin" level which the blood donation agencies don't do, so I now added ferritin to my periodic bloodwork testing, and it usually reads normally between 30-40 ng/ml, with an absolute minimal allowable 20 ng/ml.

However, last Dec.-Jan bloodwork test revealed I was down from my normal 30-40 to a low of 23ng/ml, so I eased up on periodic blood donations and ate more liver. The last bloodwork test a few weeks ago showed I was back normal again at 34ng/ml. I'm now considering increasing my bloodwork testing to perhaps 3 or 4 times a year??? BTW, someone told me that Medicare will provide up to 4 bloodwork tests per year at their expense.
    Last edited by grulla; 08-02-19 at 07:16 AM.

Your question marks suggest that you're looking for a response. Here's mine: that sounds like micromanaging. Instead of frequent checking, try establishing a routine and reducing your testing to once or twice a year to make sure you're staying on target. I'm thinking of something like liver twice a month. Since liver is generally sold in 1-pound packages, if you tire of having a liver meal several days in a row you might try making your own liverwurst with the leftovers from the pound. https://www.google.com/search?client...ead+from+liver

Thread Information