Thread: In the US, wells being drilled ever deeper as groundwater vanishes

Default In the US, wells being drilled ever deeper as groundwater vanishes

I have been saying for a very long time that the next world war will not be fought over oil, but over water. In recent years I have become increasingly concerned as I watch the corporate privatizing of water in North and South America. I have come to see the status of water worldwide as a threat of the same magnitude as climate change.
    I highly recommend a book I've just finished: Steven Solomon's
    WATER: the epic struggle for wealth, power, and civilization. It's highly detailed and would serve better as a textbook that one could consume in bites over the course of a semester. Failing that, I would at least urge you to read part four: The age of scarcity, less than 100 pages. You might even start at part three: Water and the making of the modern industrial society
    . You probably know that it's unnecessary to buy a book; any title can be borrowed from your local library through Interlibrary Loan. That said, I may decide to add this book to my own library. It's a compendium of information all in one place, under 500 pages.

CATHLEEN O'GRADY
    7/25/2019

Shallow wells could dry up, but deep wells have their own problems.

Groundwater is an "invisible resource," writes environmental engineer Debra Perrone. It "flows slowly under our feet through cracks in rocks and spaces in sediments," she says, contrasting it with the more visible and obvious dams and rivers on the surface. This invisible resource is a quiet hero, supplying around a quarter of the US' daily freshwater needs.
    Its distributed nature makes groundwater a challenging resource to manage. Unlike on the surface, where we can manage through public infrastructure like dams and reservoirs, groundwater is mostly tapped through millions of wells drilled by individuals, businesses, and farms. But current levels of groundwater use are not sustainable: resources are being steadily depleted as groundwater use outpaces natural replenishment.

Keep reading: https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...japdlaHXwobefg
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: In the US, wells being drilled ever deeper as groundwater vanishes

Excellent read. As the groundwater (aquifers) disappear, the ground near them sinks, cracking the foundation of homes, and unleveling bridges and roads. This has actually happened in Arizona, California, and Kansas. So, the problem goes far beyond just running out of water. The whole infrastructure is impacted. Some municipalities have tried charging residents fees, and levying fines for those who do not restrict their use of well water, but to no avail. If everyone does not cooperate, restricting use by a few only leaves more water for the neighbor down the road to exploit. In the main, the solutions to vanishing groundwater and disappearing lakes are the same solutions proposed to ameliorate climate change in general. No quick fix here.

I recall about well over 30 years ago that the valley floor between Tucson and Phoenix, AZ had sunk some 7' in elevation due to massive farm irrigation. This is just one of many examples of global overpopulation draining our natural resources. I hope desalinization technology of seawater is improved or we are all in big trouble. Here is an AZ news article that focuses on state wide irrigation. https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ns/1735959001/
    Last edited by grulla; 07-28-19 at 08:14 PM.

Ironically, every advance in furnishing additional water for agricultural applications has historically resulted in population growth. Every single time.

Or perhaps it's the other way around, population growth has created the need to drill for more water wells. Necessity is the mother of invention. Which came first, the chicken or the egg???

The chicken. Water is the defining factor in the rise and fall of civilizations. When the Aswan dam tamed and regulated the flow of the Nile, making irrigation possible, the population of Egypt blossomed; the same thing happened in China with the Great Canal, and it holds true wherever water sources are managed to make fertile but dry lands productive. Conversely, civilizations collapse when the rains stop. Extended drought put an end to the ancient peoples of the Yucatan and the American Southwest.

Extended droughts also ravaged the Southern plains states from Texas to Nebraska during the 1930s "Dust Bowl." Ultimately, an estimated 2.5 Million people left dust bowl states--Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, & Oklahoma. It was the largest migration in American history caused by the lack of water. I worked with a gentleman who was a boy during the dust bowl years and this man would go outside during his lunch break every day there was rain. He told me there could never be enough rain for him. He loved the rain and snow...water falling from the sky.

I have always heard it said that the deeper the well, the cleaner the water, due to deeper surface to earth water filtration. But I suppose drilling too deep can go beyond the point of diminishing returns.

I asked Tony Samsel on Mercola whether well water was free from contamination because of filtration. His reply: no, but it's often too small for detection... so that's encouraging.
    I'll be posting a collection of excerpts from his August 4 comments on glyphosate as soon as time permits.

Mr. Wizard, we knew back in the 80s that climate change would result in the eventual desertification of the entire Southwest. Nobody talks about it, afaik.

Thread Information