Thread: Chipotle, Sweetgreen bowls are linked to cancer-causing chemicals

Default Chipotle, Sweetgreen bowls are linked to cancer-causing chemicals

By Jackie Salo
    August 7, 2019

The bowls used at restaurants such as Chipotle and Sweetgreen are linked to cancer-causing chemicals, according to a new study. Though compostable bowls are often advertised as environmentally friendly, they may be treated with toxic compounds known as “forever chemicals,” according to a New Food Economy Study, which tested 14 locations of eight New York City restaurants. Among the restaurants were fast-casual favorites such as Fresh & Co, Chipotle, Sweetgreen, Dos Toros and Dig Inn.

Tests performed on the containers determined that they contained high levels of fluorine, which indicates per- and polyfluoroalkyl chemicals (PFAs) were likely used to make them more durable, according to researchers.

Continue reading at:
    https://nypost.com/2019/08/07/chipot...ing-chemicals/

Veteran Member

Default Re: Chipotle, Sweetgreen bowls are linked to cancer-causing chemicals

What a pity! When I last visited the US, my niece took me fairly often to Chipotle. I liked their food, and a bowl was enough for lunch plus to bring home for another meal. But I have to admit I wondered about the material in those bowls, and felt uneasy about it.

Unfortunately, it seems organic Chipotle has been fraught with various news breaking problems and controversies from the onset. One can find many websites about all that:
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=chipotle++...es&t=h_&ia=web

I believe Chipotle has put all those issues of the past far behind them. I ate at a Chipotles with my son a couple of months ago, for the first time. (There's only one in our area, and it's not close to home). When I got to the cashier and told him I was a Chipotle virgin, this being my very first time at one of their restaurants, they gave me my meal for free! Too bad about the bowls, but it's unlikely that I'll eat there again in the foreseeable future. Normally I can't afford to eat out anyway.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

What a shame. Chipotle prides itself on its organic menu. You'd think the "corporate heads" would have paid a little more attention to the bowls, utensils, etc. The easy fix is stop treating compostable bowls with forever chemicals. And, check the utensils, napkins, straws, etc. for chemicals too. I don't think people already willing to pay for organic food would squawk about a few cents more to get the frills without the harmful chemicals.

Thread Information