Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trains deliver water to drought-affected NSW coal mines to keep production going

Default Trains deliver water to drought-affected NSW coal mines to keep production going

Kathleen Ferguson
    August 08, 2019

Trains carrying 725,000 litres of water a day are the latest weapon to keep a drought-affected mine in inland New South Wales in production and keep jobs secure.
    Key points:

• Southern Shorthaul Railroad carts 725,000 litres of water from Charbon Mine to Airlie Mine each day on a 40km route
    • Water trucks can carry an estimated 16,000 litres each load by road
    • A senior NSW Government official says carting water by rail to parched towns is being planned

The Southern Shorthaul Railroad [SSR] company has started carting water between Centennial Coal's Charbon and Airlie mines near Lithgow on a 40-kilometre route.
    The unorthodox mode of water supply is not only securing coal production, but also jobs.

Continue reading: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...thgow/11392468
    Last edited by Islander; 08-09-19 at 04:29 PM. Reason: formatting

Default Re: Trains deliver water to drought-affected NSW coal mines to keep production going

No, I did not find out about this water by train article from visiting Julieanne in Oz, lol. Rather it was an article in Trains Magazine weekly email newsletter that I could not post due to members only lockbox limitation, but below is the partial link anyway, to the beginning of that Trains Magazine article that lead me to further explore this drought issue from that other article source published in Oz. Drought relief by train...what next :
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...thgow/11392468

Default Re: Trains deliver water to drought-affected NSW coal mines to keep production going

The combination of transporting a precious commodity to waste in facilitating the mining a major source of mercury and CO2 — coal, one of the most polluting substances on the planet — is just grotesque. I have no words.
    Scott Morrison should be disemboweled, drawn and quartered.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Now that you mention it, the Foster-McMoran copper mine (formerly Phelps-Dodge), 10-15 miles to the north of where I live, is one of a few open pit copper mines in the area that has huge amounts of water rights granted to it by the Sate of NM. Unlike the Oz outback, the Gila Mtn wilderness water shed keeps their ground water, as well as surrounding domestic wells, going...at least so far anyway. And of course if one is located close to mining, their well water could be compromised by various chemical pollutants.

Islander, I absolutely agree! I've lost track of how many petitions I signed to prevent the Adani mine. But it went ahead anyway. Sigh!

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    The combination of transporting a precious commodity to waste in facilitating the mining a major source of mercury and CO2 — coal, one of the most polluting substances on the planet — is just grotesque. I have no words. Scott Morrison should be disemboweled, drawn and quartered.
    "...should be disemboweled, drawn and quartered." Hold on to your socks "Islander", we hear from time to time about air pollution in China in great part because of their vast coal resources. China with Mongoia, (and perhaps Serbia), is perhaps the last significant country(s) on planet Earth that still uses commercial, revenue, coalburning, mainline steam locomotives for both freight and passenger service. Here are brief video examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AA47GmlD6Y https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVNjuWAwzsQ
    Last edited by grulla; 08-10-19 at 11:20 PM.

And your point is...? Forget the Englishman romanticizing about the steam engine; this is about the combined issues of climate change and the precarious status of water on planet earth. China is transitioning out of coal and the leadership understands the consequences of global warming; Scott Morrison is a climate change denier. You must be somewhat aware of the seriousness of the water situation since, despite the U.S.'s happy reality of a network of rivers and relatively reliable rainfall, your own state of New Mexico is severely water-stressed. There may come a day when the penalty for polluting potable water will be death.

I am particularly conscious of water because I have none, which I may have mentioned somewhere here. My area has been prone to drought recently and in the last three winters both wells, dug and drilled, have gone dry. The livestock and I have gotten by with snowmelt, rain water catchment, and gallon jugs of drinking water that friends bring me. Last year the wells refreshed in spring; not so this year. My kids tell me I "shouldn't have to live this way." I agree, but cost of a well begins at about $10,000. I live on Social Security. My kids want to chip in... But what do people do who have no children in a position to help?
    Last edited by Islander; 08-11-19 at 09:33 AM.

"And your point is...?" The inordinate amount of smog and air pollution in vast coal use and producing China.

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    The inordinate amount of smog and air pollution in vast coal use and producing China.
    I don't understand this.

I meant to add this to my previous reply: "Nearly 25% of The World's Population Faces a Water Crisis, And We Can't Ignore It"
    https://www.sciencealert.com/17-coun...d-s-population

Desalinization plants are the only technology that I can think of at the moment. Also turning coal beds into (water intensive) liquifaction fuel could be a possibility if they could use seawater. I'm still online searching for that, so far inconclusive. https://www.studentenergy.org/topics...t-liquefaction

Nearly 25% of The World's Population Faces a Water Crisis, And We Can't Ignore It

Some people can't understand why I always post and rant about global overpopulation. Clean, potable water availability for everyone is a good reason.
    Last edited by grulla; 08-12-19 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Added forgotten link

Desalination plants are impractical for a number of reasons. Expense aside, they require immense energy, contributing to global warming, and they impact the salinity of the water around them and the life that dwells there. I doubt there's any future for them until/unless these problems can be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    The combination of transporting a precious commodity to waste in facilitating the mining a major source of mercury and CO2 — coal, one of the most polluting substances on the planet — is just grotesque. I have no words.
    Scott Morrison should be disemboweled, drawn and quartered.
    You'll be pleased to know that, not too far from where I live, along I10 and the UPRR mainlne RoW, about 30 miles east of Lordsburg, NM, there is a 4 track rail yard in the desert where a couple hundred surplus hopper cars are being torched and scrapped, probably due in great part to a downsizing of the coal industry, as some of them were also used for other purposes such as the copper mining industry and stone ballast for trackbed. Here is a 1 min. Youtube video of the scrapping operation taken by a passerby on the interstate highway (I10), where I used to travel quite often in my RR truck before retiring in 2010.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq48_fiPMZk

And a RR forum member, "TomF", aptly describes the typical past coal hauling history of a lot of those scrapped hopper cars.
    http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42809
    Last edited by grulla; 08-12-19 at 03:58 PM.

Here is yet another railroad coal mine operation that is soon to bite the dust, the 78 mile long Black Mesa and Lake Powell RR in N. AZ, that is completely "land locked", not rail connecting to, or interchanging with any other railroad, and was built for the specific purpose of connecting a coal mine to a large electric coal fired power plant, circa 1973. Here is a free, unlocked article link from Trains Magazine:
    http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2019/08/14-black-mesa-lake-powell-visitors-uide https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_...owell_Railroad
    Last edited by grulla; 08-14-19 at 05:10 PM.

Here is a story which has nothing to do with trains hauling water to mines. In my area, which has almost no wells nor springs, all houses are built with piping which drains the rainwater falling on the roof down to a cistern which collects the rainwater. This then is pumped up to the faucets and spigots for use in all areas of the household. As I live out east, at the dry end of the island, complete with cacti, I am fortunate to live in a house which has a large cistern, nominal 30,000 gallon capacity. In reality it holds somewhat less, because of many years worth of sediment build up at the bottom, but nonetheless I never have had to buy a truckload of water in the years I have lived here. Common sense to the rescue.

In Australia, on larger blocks, we have rainwater tanks. There are also smaller, 'slimline' tanks that fit in smaller spaces for suburban houses. Big enough for drinking water, but not enough to use on the garden. Mine eventually rusted out and I can't afford to replace it, so I rely on water piped from a large dam in the hills, like everyone in the city. With less rainfall and a growing population, it has not overflowed for years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information