Thread: It's raining plastic: microscopic fibers fall from the sky in Rocky Mountains

Default It's raining plastic: microscopic fibers fall from the sky in Rocky Mountains

Maanvi Singh
    Tue 13 Aug 2019

Plastic was the furthest thing from Gregory Wetherbee’s mind when he began analyzing rainwater samples collected from the Rocky Mountains. “I guess I expected to see mostly soil and mineral particles,” said the US Geological Survey researcher. Instead, he found multicolored microscopic plastic fibers.
    The discovery, published in a recent study (pdf) titled “It is raining plastic”, raises new questions about the amount of plastic waste permeating the air, water, and soil virtually everywhere on Earth.

“I think the most important result that we can share with the American public is that there’s more plastic out there than meets the eye,” said Wetherbee. “It’s in the rain, it’s in the snow. It’s a part of our environment now.”

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...q9bF_zF3jEqscY

➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: It's raining plastic: microscopic fibers fall from the sky in Rocky Mountains

Scientists have yet to understand the health effects of breathing in or consuming microplastic fibers, as this article noted. I've read other research that concludes microplastic in large fish, like tuna, remains undigested in their gut. As "most" humans don't tend to eat the guts of large fish, the amount of micrpolastics consumed from these fish is likely miniscule. This is even more true for smaller fish like salmon. Researchers would probably have more impact if limited research dollars were devoted to how to eliminate microplastic fibers from the environment, rather than the health effects of breathing or consuming microplastic fibers. The former would go far in helping to solve the latter.

Thread Information