Thread: Thousands of palm trees are dying from a new disease. Tampa is ‘ground zero.’

Default Thousands of palm trees are dying from a new disease. Tampa is ‘ground zero.’

Elizabeth Djinis
    July 9, 2019

The section of Tampa’s Bayshore Boulevard that winds around the Hillsborough Bay is lined on either side by one of Florida’s most iconic plants, the palm tree.
    Some are tall and spindly, necks so long and thin it seems impossible they could support an entire head. Others have verdant green limbs that stretch around their short trunks.
    Among a canvas of lush palms, a few trees stand out. Their fronds are a sickly light brown.

Local forester Richard Bailey offers a prophetic warning: These palm trees are dying. So are many more around the Tampa Bay area and throughout Florida.
    Just as worrisome: There is no cure for the disease that ails them.

Continue reading at: https://www.tampabay.com/florida/2019/07/09/thousands-of-palm-trees-are-dying-from-a-new-disease-tampa-is-ground-zero/
    Last edited by Islander; 08-20-19 at 06:51 AM.

Default Re: Thousands of palm trees are dying from a new disease. Tampa is ‘ground zero.’

This begs the question if the disease could spread far enough to affect CCO production???

Default Re: Thousands of palm trees are dying from a new disease. Tampa is ‘ground zero.’

William Imboden, from the comments: "Poorly written article, full of errors. Should have let the Phd review before printing. A disservice to the public. I'm a biologist with 30 years south florida professional experience with palm nutrition and disease. Sad"
    I noticed this in the caption under the first photo: " A disease known as 'lethal bronzing' is killing off palm trees native to Florida which browns their prawns..." Not only is the sentence badly constructed, but these palms appear to have shrimp dangling from their leaves. I believe the author meant "fronds," not "prawns." Sounds like a dictation error that that went uncorrected.

As resident Grammar Nazi, I also have to address Grulla's "begs the question." I have to point out immediately that this is not Grulla's fault; the phrase has been used incorrectly for so many years that its original meaning, as one of the cluster of logical fallacies, has been lost. As used here, it simply means "to ask a question." Used rhetorically, it means "to assume the truth of an unproven statement." To clarify, I looked up some examples. Here you see the rhetorical phrase in action:
    1. Everyone wants the new iPhone because it is the hottest new gadget on the market!
    2. God is real because the Bible says so, and the Bible is from God.
    3. Killing people is wrong, so the death penalty is wrong.
    4. Smoking cigarettes can kill you because cigarettes are deadly.
    5. The rights of the criminal are just as important as the rights of the victim. Everyone's rights are equal.
    6. Fruits and vegetables are part of a healthy diet. After all, a healthy eating plan includes fruits and vegetables.
    7. Student: Why didn't I receive full credit on my essay? Teacher: Because your paper did not meet the requirements for full credit.
    8. The greatest thing we can do is to love each other. Love is better than any other emotion.

If this has aroused your curiosity, you might want to look up the other logical fallacies. It's quite a list.
    Mission accomplished. Now I can go home.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

By the darndest coincidence, I was surfing the TV just last night and got a quick glimpse of an old Rodney Dangerfield comedy movie where he said (in so many of his "one liner" words), "I was dating an English teacher and sent her a love letter...she corrected it."

Here are some more links: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/flori...b0d8840ff5a441

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=florida+pa...ng&t=h_&ia=web
    Last edited by grulla; 08-20-19 at 05:46 PM.

LOL @ Grulla!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information