Thread: Amazon on Fire

Default Amazon on Fire

Guys what you think we should learn from the amazon fire.

Default Re: Amazon on Fire

Just one more significant sign that Mother Earth is overpopulated. And I don't mean people/sq. mile, (...yet, though that can still apply locally or regionally), but rather, more than Mother earth can supply in clean, safe, natural resources. That Amazon Forest has been described on the news as the "lungs of the Earth" providing much photosynthesis, and instead we are getting much smoke.

But what caused the fires? Not too many people on earth, but too many loggers harvesting the Amazon at the rate of a football field a minute. A spark from a chain saw, machine exhaust or a worker lighting a cigarette is all it takes. Jair Bolsonaro, P.M. of Brazil, is entirely to blame for this inexcusable holocaust that is literally accelerating the rate of climate change in two ways: by removing the vast carbon sink that forests provide, and by filling the air with CO2 in the form of smoke. He authorized corporations to go in and plunder because Capitalism. Greed, pure and simple.
    What should we learn from this catastrophic event, robinsonsjacob? For one thing, unrestrained capitalism is an economic system that is the destroyer of civilizations. And what we already knew: humans are the only species that foul their own nest.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

" Not too many people on earth, but too many loggers harvesting the Amazon at the rate of a football field a minute." I'm confused that you said that "Islander"??? These loggers are not cutting down the forest for their personnel use or benefit, (such as heating their houses with firewood), but rather to meet the supply 'n demand of a fast growing global population through (for now) wood products, and subsequently the chemically toxic grown industrial crops harvested on that cleared forest land.

Every time I turn around, there is another problem with our global natural resources, such as clean ground/well water, ocean water contamination from a variety of sources, losing topsoil with glyphoste contamination, polluted air we breathe, seafood ala Fukishima radiation, need I go on. All in the name of supply and demand for the never ending ROOT CAUSE, global overpopulation.

We need some sane and civilized ideas to help limit procreation, that does not violate peoples' civil rights. Not subsidizing procreation through income tax deductions is a starter. And my disclaimer; I don't begrudge, ridicule, or disrespect anyone who has, or is from, a large family in the past. To do so would unnecessarily alienate people from this important global overpopulation dilemma. That was then, this is now.
    It's only the global future environment that concerns me.
    Last edited by grulla; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:12 AM.

A series of quotes from Jair Bolsonaro, Brazil’s President, reaffirming that the massive fires taking place in the countries rainforest are directly connected to the attempted genocide of its indigenous communities:

-“It’s a shame that the Brazilian cavalry hasn’t been as efficient as the Americans, who exterminated the Indians.” -1998

-“The Indians do not speak our language, they do not have money, they do not have culture. They are native peoples. How did they manage to get 13% of the national territory” -2015
    -“There is no indigenous territory where there aren’t minerals. Gold, tin and magnesium are in these lands, especially in the Amazon, the richest area in the world. I’m not getting into this nonsense of defending land for Indians” -2015
    -“[indigenous reserves] are an obstacle to agri-business. You can’t reduce indigenous land by even a square meter in Brazil” -2015
    -“I fought with Jarbas Passarinho [former minister of Justice] right here. I fought with him about the high treason he committed in demarcating the Yanomami reserve. Criminal.” -2017
    -“Not a centimeter will be demarcated either as an indigenous reserve or as a quilombola [territory for descendents of African slave communities].” -2017
    -“You can be sure that if I get there [elected President of Brazil] there will be no money for NGOs. If it’s up to me, every citizen will have a firearm in the house. There will not be a centimeter demarcated for indigenous reservations or quilombolas.” -2017
    -“If I become President there will not be a centimeter more of indigenous land.” -2018
    -“This unilateral policy of demarcating indigenous land by the Executive will cease to exist. Any reserve that I can reduce in size, I will do so. It will be a very big fight that we’re going to have with the UN" -2016
    -“In 2019 we’re going to rip up Raposa Serra do Sol [Indigenous Territory in Roraima, northern Brazil]. We’re going to give all the ranchers guns” -2016
    -“We are going to integrate them into society. Just like the army which did a great job of this, incorporating the Indians into the armed forces.” -2018
    -“If I’m elected, I’ll serve a blow to FUNAI (Brazil’s department for indigenous affairs) a blow to the neck. There’s no other way. It’s not useful anymore” -2018

Maurya, I know Bolsonaro was a monster but I had no idea of the magnitude of his monstrosity. I was under the impression that the forest was actually being harvested commercially, and I think in some cases that's still true. Thank you for posting this.

What a dreadful man! Thank you Maurya for finding those quotes.

My impression (up till now) was that the forest was being bulldozed to raise cattle for American hamburgers.

And I thought the wood was harvested for resale, and cleared ground used to plant red palm oil trees.

"Julieanne", My impression (up till now) was that the forest was being bulldozed to raise cattle for American hamburgers." What ever gave you that idea...lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puJePACBoIo

Grulla, when you don't use the Quote function,the result is confusing. That looked like you speaking. Please use [QUOTE]. You can just delete the part you don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    Juliieanne", My impression (up till now) was that the forest was being bulldozed to raise cattle for American hamburgers." What ever gave you that idea...lol
    Don't know if you are being serious, but several articles like this: https://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/beef-production-is-killing-the-amazon-rainforest/

Islander, I believe palm oil production is yet another huge problem.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:30 PM.

Julieanne, thanks for posting that very useful pie chart. It seems that we were all right, to a degree, though I was surprised at the amount of land devoted to cattle vs. the amount to wood harvest per se.

I see it is from 2000 to 2005, so is way out of date. It may have changed.

Good point. I did a search but could find nothing more recent than 2005.

I think population is the main cause of all these events.

Thread Information