Thread: Yet Another Health Problem Linked to Air Pollution: Eye Disease

Default Yet Another Health Problem Linked to Air Pollution: Eye Disease

Alice Park
    August 22, 2019

It’s no secret that air pollution isn’t good for your health. In particular, exposure to the byproducts of burning the fuel that powers most of our motor vehicles has been linked to higher risk of lung cancer, respiratory infections, stroke and heart disease, as well as an increased risk of death from these conditions. A new study now adds another worrisome pollution-related risk: eye disease.
    Dr. Suh-Hang Hank Juo, from the center for myopia and eye disease at China Medical University in Taiwan, and his colleagues documented for the first time in a large population that exposure to two common air pollutants—nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and carbon monoxide (CO)—is associated with a higher risk of developing age-related macular degeneration, in which damaged cells in the retina lead to blurry central vision and, in some cases, eventually to vision loss in one or both eyes.

Read more: https://time.com/5657617/air-polluti...ntent=20190822
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Yet Another Health Problem Linked to Air Pollution: Eye Disease

Even if the two common air pollutants do not lead to ARMD, my eyes are increasingly irritated on really dirty, high pollution days. I can't tell whether my eyes are increasingly irritated because I'm getting older or becuase the pollution is getting worse......more than likely, it's both??? Seems every other day during the summer there's a code red, air quality warning suggesting to stay indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    Even if the two common air pollutants do not lead to ARMD, my eyes are increasingly irritated on really dirty, high pollution days. I can't tell whether my eyes are increasingly irritated because I'm getting older or becuase the pollution is getting worse......more than likely, it's both??? Seems every other day during the summer there's a code red, air quality warning suggesting to stay indoors.
    Same here, from airborne allergies or forest fire smog. I have learned from experience that when itchy eyes happens, more often than not the itchiness emanates from the inner corner of the eyelid, and not (necessarily) the affected red eyeballs, which usually just happens to be the symptom.

The first thing I do when my eyes are affected like that is to wash my face, especially around the eyes, then apply some eye drops, followed by some safe, topical ointment on the irritated corner lids (avoiding the eyeballs), followed by a cold water compress to help soothe inflammation and/or irritation, using a clean and close forming contact wash cloth left, on my eyes for perhaps 10-20 minutes or so, lying down in bed. The wash clothe needs to be kept cool with occasional repeated cold water soaking from a nearby pot of cool, clean water.

Works fairly well, but sometimes needs to be repeated over the coarse of the day. So far this year, I have not experienced that problem, perhaps due to increased doses of Vit C, but also due to perhaps weather conditions.
    Last edited by grulla; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:37 PM.

grulla, cotton pads soaked in ice cold witch hazel are very soothing. Another old remedy that works is sliced cucumber on the eyes. Both are better than plain water.

Thread Information