Thread: Vitamin D: How Much Is Too Much Of A Good Thing?

Default Vitamin D: How Much Is Too Much Of A Good Thing?

University of Calgary
    September 3 2019

High doses of vitamin D may result in a decrease in bone density

When bare skin is exposed to sunlight, it makes Vitamin D, which is needed by our bodies to absorb calcium and ensure strong, healthy bones. With bathing suit skin exposure, it only takes about 10-15 minutes of sun exposure during the summer to generate all the vitamin D your body needs for the day.

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0903134738.htm
    Last edited by Julieanne; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:00 PM.

Default Re: Vitamin D: How Much Is Too Much Of A Good Thing?

As a cancer survivor, I've paid particular attention to vitamin D, and I found this study somewhat disturbing. The reason? The assumption that the sole benefit of vitamin C lies in the skeleton. My readings suggest multiple benefits, perhaps in the hundreds. I would also suggest that the size of the dose is irrelevant without first having a baseline as to an individual's existing level of vitamin D. Nowhere is there any indication of either deficiency or sufficiency of vitamin D for any of the test subjects. It's pointless to begin a comprehensive study without a known starting point and a specific goal. In my view, the goal would not be a change in bone quality; it would be to reach and maintain a healthy level of vitamin D, say, 60 ng/mL. Bone health does not depend solely on vitamin D; an array of other vitamins and minerals is involved, working in concert, and enhanced by weight-bearing exercises, like walking.
    The entire study seems ill-informed. Most sources I've read suggest 8000 IUs as an appropriate maintenance dose. A dose of 600 IUs dates back to some remote period before our interest in this vitamin was aroused. A great deal of attention has since been paid to the subject, along with exhaustive research far more professional than whatever this team attempted to carry out. It's certainly not science-based and I consider the findings meaningless.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I didn't post this because I totally agreed with it. I was more interested in what members might think. Thanks Islander.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:31 AM.

Mercola posted an article on D deficiency this morning, reinforcing my claim that vitamin D does far more than build bones. Here's the summary:
    "Children with low vitamin D levels between the ages of 5 and 12 years are 1.8 times more likely to develop behavior problems in adolescence. Aggression and rule-breaking behaviors were linked to vitamin D deficiency, adding support to the importance of optimizing vitamin D levels to protect mental health throughout life."

I searched the study on the website for the University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada to determine which type vitamin D was used in the study--D3 (cholecalciferol) or D2 (ergocalciferol). Unfortunately, the study did not identify the type of vitamin D. I believe the type used greatly influences the study's outcomes. As most HH regulars know, D3 is natural, sourced from the sun and/or dietary animal sources, like egg yolks, liver, butter, fatty fish, and fatty fish oils. D2 is synthethic, sourced mainly from plants, like mushrooms (artificially grown in UV light) and fortified foods. My "theory" is D3 metabolizes differently than D2 and would not have caused the loss of bone density experienced by the high dose participants. D3's metabolic process is more discrete--more constrained--in the way it interacts with other bone minerals and would not have depleted them to the extent that would have resulted in weakened bone density. It would have been helpful if the study had identified the specific type of vitamin D used.

Thanks for being so perceptive, Mr. Wiz. Failure to specify which form of D is typical of the carelessness of the entire experiment.

Mr Wiz is so correct. My cynical self does wonder whether many of these "careless" studies actually were set up and designed to "prove" that a substance, usually a nutrient or supplement, is ineffective. This easily could be done simply by using the wrong form (such as D2) or too little of the substance to have any positive effect. Then the headlines will scream, and people will not look beneath the surface.

Thread Information