Thread: Diet's Effect On Gut bacteria Could Play Role In Reducing Alzheimer's Risk

Default Diet's Effect On Gut bacteria Could Play Role In Reducing Alzheimer's Risk

Wake Forest Baptist Medical Centre
    September 23 2019

Could following a certain type of diet affect the gut microbiome -- the good and bad bacteria that live in the gastrointestinal tract -- in ways that decrease the risk of Alzheimer's disease?
    According to researchers at Wake Forest School of Medicine, that is a fair possibility

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0903120514.htm

Default Re: Diet's Effect On Gut bacteria Could Play Role In Reducing Alzheimer's Risk

I read a similar story elsewhere that confirmed the direction of this investigation. It seems strange that so many developed countries, deeply involved in research, have yet to discover concrete factors that incline us toward a diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Diet's Effect On Gut bacteria Could Play Role In Reducing Alzheimer's Risk

I agree. I don't think researcher really understand Alzheimer's. Consequently, it's ill-defined. It looks different in different people. Until they can define it, I don't think identifying concrete factors that incline us toward a diagnosis will be possible.

"Using young blood to halt Alzheimer's" was the headline that caught my eye. Alkahest--a clinical trials biotechnology company--announced last month that their Phase 2 clinical trials resulted in stopping the cognitive decline in Alzheimer's patients. Nine patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease were infused (transfusion) with fresh frozen blood plasma from men 18 to 30 yrs. old 4 times per week, for 4 weeks. After a 6 week washout period, the patients showed no cognitive decline. Alkahest admits more needs to be done, but these are interesting results.
    Read Alkahest's announcement here:
    https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...s-Disease.html

I think this deserves its own thread. Perhaps post under 'Medical breakthroughs' and 'Alzheimer's'. This is wonderful news, but where is the reference to blood transfusion? I can't see it.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 09-10-19 at 07:44 PM.

Is it "proprietary plasma fractions"? I recall reading something about transfusing young blood into aging recipients, with doubtful results...
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Is it "proprietary plasma fractions"? I recall reading something about transfusing young blood into aging recipients, with doubtful results...
    I'm not quite sure how applicable this may be, but Dr. Jeffrey Dach, in his blood donation website, recommends donating only WHOLE blood the "old fashioned way", as opposed to the recirculating plasma machine I always see at the blood banks, for better and safer blood quality and integrity. That suggests to me that the blood donation recipient would likewise benefit better with WHOLE blood??? https://jeffreydachmd.com/2013/04/donating-blood-prevents-heart-disease/
    Last edited by grulla; 09-11-19 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    I think this deserves its own thread. Perhaps post under 'Medical breakthroughs' and 'Alzheimer's'. This is wonderful news, but where is the reference to blood transfusion? I can't see it.
    OK. I will post under Alzheimer's and will use a source that specifically cites "transfusion." I linked aboved to the official announcement, which obfuscates the point about how the actual clinical trial was administered. I have another source that is much clearer.

Thread Information