Thread: A Teen Boy's Diet of Fries and Sausage Led to Blindness, According to a New Case Stud

Default A Teen Boy's Diet of Fries and Sausage Led to Blindness, According to a New Case Stud

Jamie Ducharme
    September 3, 2019

A new case study highlights a serious, though rare, side effect of a poor diet: blindness.
    In the Annals of Internal Medicine, a group of researchers from the University of Bristol in the U.K. report the unusual case of a teenage boy whose diet was so poor, it led to serious optic nerve damage and vision loss.
    The boy first reported fatigue to his doctors when he was 14. He was deficient in vitamin B12 but had few other health issues, so he received only vitamin B12 injections and dietary counseling.

Read more about this strange case: https://time.com/5667374/poor-diet-b...ntent=20190904
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: A Teen Boy's Diet of Fries and Sausage Led to Blindness, According to a New Case

The film Vitamania showed a similar case, where the boy was severely deficient in vitamin A and almost went blind. Other than that, the film took a fairly negative view of supplements - you know," you can get all you need from food".

Default Re: A Teen Boy's Diet of Fries and Sausage Led to Blindness, According to a New Case

Which the OP just disproved, lol.

The last sentence above states.."....he received a B12 injection and dietary counseling." One can only hope he was told that the key nutrients for eye and vision health, like lutein, zeaxanthin, vit. A, etc., were abundant in orange and yellow veggies. If this boy is like so many of our teens today, colorful and green leafy veggies are the last thing they want to eat. I see it with my grands. They avoid veggies like the plague. However, thankfully, they do consume a large variety of fruits.

No reflection on your grands, Mr. Wizard. Just an observation: I've noticed that a lot of parents these days give their children a great deal of freedom in meal choices, even going so far as to prepare separate meals for fussy kids who refuse what's on the table. This is not the way my siblings and I were raised. We were expected to eat what was put in front of us or go hungry. Most of the time we ate it (except for my sister who hid her peas all around the circumference of her dinner plate)!

We also ate the food placed in front of us....no choices. I think most parents today are swamped and stressed that the path of least resistance is easier than fighting with kids over dinner.

I was allowed to reject a couple of foods, but mostly I was hungry enough to eat whatever was served up and wasn't a fussy eater. I had no money to buy snacks between meals, unlike many kids today. I wouldn't eat bacon or parsley, both of which I enjoy as an adult.

Thread Information