Thread: Survey....Doctors Are Unprepared To Help Patients Avoid Diabetes

Default Survey....Doctors Are Unprepared To Help Patients Avoid Diabetes

Johns Hopkins Medicine
    September 10, 2019

Summary:Researchers say their survey of 1,000 randomly selected PCPs revealed significant gaps in the group's overall knowledge of risk factors, diagnostic criteria and recommended management/prevention practices for prediabetes
    Which of these is not a risk factor for prediabetes?

A) Overweight
    B) Age 45 or older
    C) Being white
    D) Exercise less than three times per week

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0910102047.htm
    Last edited by Julieanne; 5 Days Ago at 07:17 AM.

Default Re: Survey....Doctors Are Unprepared To Help Patients Avoid Diabetes

Forgive my cynicism. I'm mildly surprised that doctors aren't more attentive about screening for diabetes, but once there's a diagnosis, my impression is that the intent is to keep patients sick and medicated. I've been through the process myself, and the coaching we got from dietitians allows far more carbs then what would keep the condition under control. Pick up any magazine targeting diabetics, and you will also see recipes for scrumptious desserts that you're told will be acceptable on a limited-carb diet. Those excesses are possible because the assumption is that you're using the prescription drug Metformin, or even a stronger one, progressing eventually to insulin... because the advice you receive makes no serious attempt to rein in the condition.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Forgive my cynicism......"....you're using the prescription drug Metformin, or even a stronger one, progressing eventually to insulin... because the advice you receive makes no serious attempt to rein in the condition.
    Sometimes, patients are prescribed Metformin and insulin together, which is a scary combo. But, even taking just Metformin is not without its risks. It's one of the oldest type 2 diabetes drugs around, and when compared to some of the others, it's probably one of the safest. Having said that, there's plenty to NOT like about Metformin. For ex., like statins, Metformin depletes CoQ10, which the heart and cells depend on to remain healthy. Also, Metformin can "block" the absorption of all the B Complex vitamins, especially vitamin B12. Nerves, DNA synthesis, and red blood cell formation all depend on vitamin B12. Nerve damage, certain types of anemia, chronic fatigue, and memory loss can result from a vitamin B12 deficiency. I wonder how many docs check the B vitamins and B12 levels of patients on Metformin. BTW, I should mention that Metformin is also routinely prescribed for women with polycistic ovary syndrome, or PCOS.

It's such a common prescription that I doubt anyone ever loks for side effects.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

The folks I know on Metformin complain constantly about feeling tired and listless all the time. A lack of CoQ10 and B vitamins will make you feel this way.

Thread Information