Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Young Blood to Battle Alzheimer’s

Default Using Young Blood to Battle Alzheimer’s

Dr. Ricki Lewis, geneticist
    September 10, 2019

Regular transfusions of the blood of a younger, physically fit donor can significantly retard the aging process,” proclaims a middle-aged CEO being hooked up to an intravenous line to the buff, young Bryce, the “transfusion associate.” It’s a parabiosis procedure, the CEO explains, in episode 5 of season 4 of Silicon Valley.

He’s right. Parabiosis experiments have indeed shown value to receiving young blood – if you’re a mouse. And vice versa for sending old blood into a young rodent.

Now, results of a phase 2 clinical trial indicate that something, or some mix of somethings, in young blood is apparently safe and offers the first hints that it might slow the cognitive decline of mild to moderate Alzheimer’s disease.

Keep Reading: https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2...eid=7fc188f0dc

Default Re: Using Young Blood to Battle Alzheimer’s

Think I'll withhold judgment on this one for now. One of those "too good to be true" stories.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I agree, with my fingers crossed. If this comes to fruition,......wow!!

I dunno. Reminds me somewhat of vampires.

I agree somewhat with the idea of young blood for an older person, but I question the need by an older person to HAVE to receive a blood donation from a younger blood donor, at least under certain circumstances. I'm 73 Y.O. now, and for the past 3 years, I have been a regular blood donor, donating blood 6-12 months a year, (sometimes violating the 56 day/8 week rule thereby having to depend on two different blood agencies). And there are many other eligibility requirements to be a safe blood donor: https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate...uirements.html

Anyway, I prescribe to the theory that in order to help prevent one's blood from stagnating, and to keep that blood fresh, clot free, and clean, periodic blood donations allow the bodily bone marrow blood (re)production system to exercise, "if you don't use it, you can lose it." Of course, proper diet, nutrition, and the lack of big pharma meds is key to this blood donating practice.

The vascular surgeon that recently cleaned out my calcified right carotid artery last May, via the newly FDA approved, minimally invasive, outpatient TCAR procedure, https://silkroadmed.com/the-tcar-procedure/, insisted on blood thinning statins, and I mentioned to him that would interfere with me donating blood, which just so happens to be a form of blood thinning in and of itself. So he told me to just finish the bottle of statins without renewing the prescription, so I could return to donating blood once again (after a 14 day blood/statin cleansing period required by the blood donation bank). I tossed the statins after two weeks.

Proper blood viscosity is a much overlooked matter so I want to emphasize that donating blood simply helps bring one's blood down to relatively NORMAL blood viscosity levels, while blood thinning statins bring one's blood viscosity to BELOW normal levels. Drs. Jeffrey Dach and Jonathan Wright are big advocates of donating blood for health reasons such as strokes and heart attacks, with proper blood viscosity.

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate...uirements.html
    https://jeffreydachmd.com/2013/04/do...heart-disease/
    https://www.health.com/mind-body/4-u...donating-blood
    Last edited by grulla; 3 Days Ago at 10:05 AM.

I didn't realize one could not donate blood if on statins. Geez, that eliminates a lot of current and future potential blood donations.

Here are 2 lists. I now see Vitalant (formely UBD/UBS) says most meds are acceptable. When I recently researched that for Plavix and Lipitor, I had found a 2 week "rinse" for Plavix, and no mention of Lipitor:

https://www.vitalant.org/Donate/Donor-Eligibility.aspx

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate...habetical.html

grulla, thanks for sharing info. on donating blood. I last donated 10 yrs. ago, but didn't realize all the eligibility requirements to do so. I think some of these requirements may be new since I last donated. Some of it is curious too--anyone with almost any type of vaccination is acceptable, as well as people with herpes, HPV, and chlamydia. Frankly, I thought they could "clean" almost anything out of blood products. And, perhaps they can, but just would prefer not to incur the expense and trouble.

I have been donating literally for a lifetime, and much of the time it has been convenient to do so every 60 days. For the last dozen or more years I have been taking nattokinase daily (along with L-lysine and L-proline in my vitamin C) to keep vessels supple, avoid buildup, and protect against stroke. I fail to see how the "use it or use it" concept applies to the manufacture of red blood cells. If anything, it presents a degree of stress to the body to continue to replenish an essential part of our physiology. I continue to do it because it's a donation that costs me nothing, yet confers something of value where it is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    ....I fail to see how the "use it or lose it" concept applies to the manufacture of red blood cells....
    STAGNATION: I firmly believe that one's blood replenishing abilities can be reduced or much compromised due to age related lack of use atrophy of the blood bone marrow reproduction "mechanism's" ability, (as well as poor diet) thereby exacerbating more stagnant blood in their body. Keeping one's blood fresh and clean is key to good health as described by both Drs. Dach and Wright in the above links. Unfortunately, a lot of people are not capable of donating blood for many various reasons.
    Last edited by grulla; 1 Day Ago at 10:03 AM.

Grulla, you're on! I invite you to find a source or two to support your contention. I will do the same to support my position. No pressure, but let's give it a week, max. Fair?

Just read/watch the two links I provided where Jeffrey Dach and Jonathan Wright say/imply the importance of blood donations. With a little common sense, one can extrapolate from there. And here is yet another link that answers your question:
    https://www.organicfacts.net/health-...-donation.html
    4th item paragraph: Stimulates Blood Cell Production

It may be useful to reiterate that this phase 2 clinical trial did not use a "whole" blood product as the title would suggest. The trial used "young fresh frozen plasma," or yFFP. This plasma protein fraction (a "fraction" rather than a specific protein) is what slowed the progression of cognitive decline in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's--not a whole blood product. BTW, in the interest of full disclosure, I have no idea what a fraction of a protein means??

It is Dr. Jeffrey Dach, in his above mentioned link, who insists on the importance of "...the old fashioned way..." of donating WHOLE blood, and to avoid the potentially risky practice of donating blood via the recirculating blood plasma and other similar methods.

I am too old to donate blood in Oz, I think 75 is the limit. Shame, as I am what's known as a universal blood donor - anyone can accept my blood type. It's either RhO or RhA, I've forgotten!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information