Thread: The Water Wars Are Here

Default The Water Wars Are Here

MAX HOLLERAN
    September 13, 2019

In a warming world, fights over water usage have become ideological battles.

Everyone remembers the scene in Chinatown when Jack Nicholson almost gets his nose sliced off, but many do not recall what the dispute was about. It wasn’t drug smuggling or gun running that got Nicholson’s character slashed. It was water rights. Since the film was released in 1974, the question of who will get the limited water in the American West, particularly the all-important flow of the Colorado River, has grown even more contentious.
    Dystopian novels and movies predict a future in which people fight it out for every last drop of water to quench the thirst of expanding cities, parched agriculture, and wasteful suburban grass lawns. But the future is already here. Urban growth in desert cities has ramped up the demand for water while increasing temperatures brought on by climate change have decreased the supply. West of the Mississippi River, water rights—which are both divorced from climate change reality and based on illogically piecemeal legislation—have created an existential crisis.

Keep reading: https://newrepublic.com/article/1550...GlXu_q5ia8nXW8

➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: The Water Wars Are Here

Just yesterday, I was browsing the Wally magazine rack, and came across the latest issue of the September-October 2019 American Scientist magazine, (ASM) Special Issue, The Future of Water, for $5.95 USD, which I promptly purchased, and will read ASAP. https://www.americanscientist.org/ma...tember-october

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    MAX HOLLERAN, September 13, 2019,In a warming world, fights over water usage have become ideological battles. Everyone remembers the scene in Chinatown when Jack Nicholson almost gets his nose sliced off, but many do not recall what the dispute was about. It wasn’t drug smuggling or gun running that got Nicholson’s character slashed. It was water rights....
    In a similar vein about water rights, I recall the 1988 Robert Redford movie production, "The Milagro Beanfield War": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Milagro_Beanfield_War

If I were Queen of Everything, I would immediately issue an executive order for all USA citizens to limit showers to three a week, with a 5-minute limit. (Technique: get wet, turn the water off; scrub & shampoo; turn the water on, rinse). Many of my cohort grew up, as I did, without a shower in the house (some had no running water at all), yet it was entirely possible to keep clean. Also:
    • No watering lawns
    • No washing driveways
    • Use a car wash or limit home washes to the same 3 minutes
    • An end to watering golf courses.
    • Carefully managed use of water for agriculture (including livestock)
    • Highest priority to crops that require little or no irrigation, e.g. corn
    • Allowing water to run continuously (while brushing teeth, washing dishes etc.) will be seen as a despicable and immoral act
    And similar restrictions and limitations embraced by other countries would be enthusiastically encouraged. Water is life!

At the individual level, some of us still do live like this. The vast majority of water wastage, however, is accomplished at the industrial level. The amount I save as an individual is just as nothing compare to the vast amounts wasted in which I have absolutely no say or control.

Islander, we already have fairly tough water restrictions here in Australia, and they have been there for a while. (No-one would dare water their driveway!) They apply to domestic water use, don't know what restrictions there might be on industrial use. And we have had 'water wars' in the Eastern states for some time now.

I agree with you Maurya, and many excuse their water wastage by claiming industry is far worse, so why bother? I bother, because how can you complain if you don't at least restrict your own water use? This will only get worse.

I was wondering which industries are the most profligate with water. Then I remembered Grulla's post a short time ago about pouring truckloads of water down a coal mine. Who knew coal could be so thirsty?

Doesn't fracking use a lot of water?

Bingo, that's another one! Yes, water containing chemicals that pollute local wells and ruin people's drinking water — some so badly that tap water can actually be set on fire. Property owners are well paid to sign a non-disclosure agreement, so that when adverse events like this happen, they have no recourse. Elizabeth Warren, one of the current 2020 presidential candidates, offered to place a ban on fracking on her first day in office and has taken severe criticism for that proposal, because of the importance of the natural gas industry. And that reaction is just one example of the difficult and contradictory proposals to defer climate change.

Thread Information