Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin E Found To Prevent Muscle Damage After Heart Attack

Default Vitamin E Found To Prevent Muscle Damage After Heart Attack

Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute
    September 16 2019

Heart attack is a leading cause of death worldwide and new treatment strategies are highly sought-after. Unfortunately lasting damage to the heart muscle is not uncommon following such an event.
    Published in Redox Biology, the pre-clinical study sheds new light on the potential of the acute therapy with ?-TOH (vitamin E) in patients presenting with heart attack, and may ultimately offer an effective low-cost treatment

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0916103809.htm

Default Re: Vitamin E Found To Prevent Muscle Damage After Heart Attack

This confirms a number of other studies touting the benefits of vit. E to diminish damage after a heart attack. The references at the end of the article stipulate that vit. E (alpha-tocopherol) was used for this study. Vit. E actually has 8 different compounds--4 tocopherols and 4 tocotrienols. Alpha- and gamma- tocotrienols have also shown the ability to decrease heart damage. I would like to see a study comparing tocopherols to tocotrienols for this purpose. Tocotrienols were discovered after tocopherols. Most vit. E studies involve only 1 of the 8 compounds--alpha tocopherol.

What Mr Wiz said; as well, quite a bit of evidence indicates that d-Gamma tocopherol is the most active one in humans. So why conduct the testing with d-alpha, or even worse dl-alpha tocopherol, which is not even a natural form? For supplemental use, it is best to take tocopherol at a separate time from tocotrienol.

OK, I use a Life Extension product, "Gamma E: Mixed tocopherols and tocotrienols." What with the daily regimen and the macular degeneration regimen, I have a lot of bottles in the medicine chest, you'd think I was a witch doctor or an alchemist. How important is it to take them separately, Maurya or Wiz?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    "......How important is it to take them separately, Maurya or Wiz?
    Maurya is correct. The two should be taken separately, and the research is emphatic on this point. One study suggested as many as 12 hours. Tocopherols overwhelm tocotrienols and decrease their absorption. Tocotrienols act like natural statins and reduce the synthesis of cholesterol in the liver. One study showed that tocotrienols can reduce the production of unneeded cholesterol by 48%. But, when tocopherols are taken with tocotrienols that number drops to just 17%. Bottom line: you can take a supplement that combines them both, but just recognize that the tocotrienols will suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    ... tocotrienols can reduce the production of unneeded cholesterol by 48%.
    Then why on earth are people taking statins? I hadn't heard of this, not that I have high cholesterol, nor would I take statins if I did. This should be more widely known.

Consider: supplementing assumes a deficiency. I take a quality multi-vitamin/mineral as a precaution, to avoid any deficiency. My multi-vite contains mixed tocopherols and provides 449% of my daily needs. "There are eight distinct forms of vitamin E, but researchers believe that only one type, alpha-tocopherol, helps meet human nutritional needs." So it looks like I'm already pretty well covered. I think I'll just drop the additional supplement and depend on diet to meet my needs. I already consume a fair amount of foods high in E.
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324308.php (foods high in E)

Unfortunately, not much research has been conducted on the 4 types of vit. E tocotrienols. Tocopherols were discovered in the 1920s, whereas tocotrienols weren't discovered until the late 1960s. Most of vit. E research has been conducted on alpha-tocopherol, which is why researchers know more about this one than any other type. Recent research on tocotrienols show that tocotrienols lower production of unnecessary cholesterol, improves insulin sensitivity, benefits heart function, has many anti-cancer properties, etc. etc. I alternate days supplementing with tocopherols and tocotrienols. BTW, tocotrienols increased my HDL levels when nothing else would.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    Then why on earth are people taking statins? I hadn't heard of this, not that I have high cholesterol, nor would I take statins if I did. This should be more widely known.
    Julieanne, excellent question. I can only guess there's no money in tocotrienols, which are available in concentrated form in rice bran & its oil, palm & its oil, wheat germ & its oil, saw palmetto and annato. Tocotrienols directly reduce the synthesis of unnecessary cholesterol in the liver by suppressing the HMG-CoA reductase enzyme that promotes cholesterol synthesis. Studies vary on how much of a reduction but it's significant and challenges the reduction resulting from most statins, without the side effects of statins.

I guess my question was semi-rhetorical. We all know why drugs are prescribed rather than natural alternatives. How many doctors would know this? (No need to answer this one!)

But the liver produces 1200 mg of cholesterol daily, to supply the body's demands. Who determines what part of that is "excessive"?

I've wondered this too. Do they just test a large number of people and find an average? Not very reliable, as we are all different.

But the liver produces 1200 mg of cholesterol daily, to supply the body's demands. Who determines what part of that is "excessive"?
    The liver produces anywhere from 1,000 mg. to 2,000 mg. of cholesterol daily, depending on the individual. And, the liver via an intricate network of enzymes, genes, and receptors determine what's excessive or not per individual. This network serves as the feedback loop that tells it how much cholesterol to produce. However, it's far from an exact science and the function becomes less and less efficient as we age. In fact, studies indicate that most people experience a bump up in their cholesterol levels as they get older. Most importantly, proper cholesterol homeostasis depends on a healthy liver. A group of conditions caused by NAFLD (non-alcholic fatty liver disease (affecting 90 million Americans), diabetes, underactive thyroid, polycistic ovary syndrome (PCOS), kidney disease, pregnancy, medications, among other things, all impact on how well the liver produces and balances cholesterol. And, of course, maintaining proper cholesterol levels are next to impossible for the 1 million or so people who have FH - Familial Hypercholesterolemia. Accorindg to a new report by 23andMe, as many as 90% of people with FH don't know they have it.
    Read more from 23andMe here: https://blog.23andme.com/health-trai...olesterolemia/

Based on the number of factors that influence cholesterol production — none of which affect me — I'm not going to worry about my cholesterol level. I never did anyway. Since the liver has been programmed for this function since the beginning of time, I am going to trust that it knows exactly what it's doing for each individual, including me. I've been taking mega vitamin C and a daily dose of nattokinase for years. The C keeps my blood vessels flexible, preventing the cracks that cholesterol must step in to fill. The nattokinase scrubs away any calcium deposits and prevents the formation of clots; it is an anti-fibrinogen. I'm going to die of something eventually, but it won't be heart disease. I'm hoping it will be simply old age!

"There are eight distinct forms of vitamin E, but researchers believe that only one type, alpha-tocopherol, helps meet human nutritional needs."
    Alpha tocopherol is essential for nutrition in Rats, who were the test subjects in almost all of the early vitamin E studies. Subsequently scientists have found that alpha tocopherol is significant only for rats, and the gamma tocopherol is the important one for humans. Mixed tocopherols with a heavier amount of gamma tocopherol would seem to be the prudent way to supplement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information