Thread: Iron Rich Foods May Cancel Out Tomatoes' Anti-Cancer Benefits

Default Iron Rich Foods May Cancel Out Tomatoes' Anti-Cancer Benefits

Ana Sandoui
    September 19 2019

New research finds that iron halves the absorption of lycopene. Lycopene is a carotenoid full of antioxidants that is present in tomatoes.
    Tomatoes offer a rich variety of health benefits.
    These range from protecting against cancer and hypertension to maintaining the health of our heart, skin, and eyes.

Read more: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...20Daily%20News
    Last edited by Julieanne; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:07 AM.

Default Re: Iron Rich Foods May Cancel Out Tomatoes' Anti-Cancer Benefits

Good article, thanks. Lycopene is one of a 5 natural supplement regimen, in high remedial doses, that my integrative doctor has had me on to successfully eliminate two nodular growths on my prostate, (so far, so good, but requires routine monitoring with ultrasound).

As I have recently mentioned here on HH, I'm a regular blood donor which, according to my 6 month bloodwork testing, has helped keep my ferritin (iron) level always in the proper 30-40 ng/ml window, but with a brief dip last year down to 23 ng/ml, (and 20 ng/ml being the absolute safe minimum), and now back at normal.

Therefore, it is good to know that my iron level will in all likelyhood not interfere with my lycopene supplement consumption. Here is a past Mercola article on excess iron levels: https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...-benefits.aspx Especially subtitle: What You Should Know About Excess Iron Levels
    Last edited by grulla; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:21 AM.

I wish the article had mentioned foods that are high in iron. The only one that comes to mind is blackstrap molasses!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Beef, parsley, spinach? I vaguely remember something about vegetable sources and animal sources being different - perhaps veg iron is not as well absorbed? I do make sure to take vitamin C with iron.

Although iron may halve the amount of lycopene absorbed, the good news is lycopene is available in many "reddish color" fruits and veggies, like watermelon, pink grapefruit, red bell peppers, papaya, red cabbage, persimmon, mangos, asparagus, guavas, as well as tomatoes and tomato-based products, In fact, one (1) cup of canned tomato puree has 54 mg. of lycopene, which is more than 4 times the daily requirement for lycopene. At 12 mg. or more per day, lycopene has shown to have blood pressure lowering effects in those with high blood pressure. **Lycopene is a "fat-soluble" carotenoid and is best absorbed when eaten with olive oil, butter, avocado, etc. Also, as a carotenoid, lycopene competes with other carotenoids for absorption. So, when lycopene is eaten with corn, which is highest in the carotenoid lutein, or with orange bell peppers, which is highest in the carotenoid zeaxanthin, the absorption of lycopene is reduced. So, to maximize absorption of lycopene, eat a healthy fat and exclude other foods high in other carotenoids at the same meal, especially carrots, spinach, kiwi, zucchini, grapes, and squash.

I'm surprised to hear corn is high in lutein. Summer is on its way in the Southern hemisphere, so I look forward to eating more corn! Meanwhile, I add tomato juice to my vegetable juice. The juicer doesn't handle soft fruit/veg very well, it tends to get stuck partway through.

Me too. I thought spinach or a green leafy veggie would have the most lutein. But, a number of references listed corn (maize) as having the highest percentage of lutein of all fruits & veggies. Processed tomato products, like puree, paste, sauces and juices are actually higher in lycopene than the raw tomatoes. Processing and cooking releases more lycopene by breaking down the membranes and releasing lycopene.

Corn! Ah, corn... this is the season when corn on the cob is finally available to us folks in the chilly Northeast, for a few short weeks. I used to grow it: flint corn for the pigs & chickens, sweet corn for the family. It became a fight with skunks and raccoons to get our share, and in recent years drought made growing sweet corn impossible for me. Just as well, since it's not recommended for diabetics who aren't medicated (it's called "sweet" for a reason!). I do treat myself to a couple of ears right about now, and learning that it's high in lutein makes me feel so much better about it! Supper tonight: stuffed peppers and corn on the cob!

One never should cook food which includes tomatoes in a cast iron skillet. Here is yet another reason for that avoidance.

Yup, nor other acids, like citrus... which I found out to my dismay many years ago when trying to make orange marmalade in a cast iron pan.

Thread Information