Thread: For The First Time Walking Patterns Identify Specific Types Of Dementia

Default For The First Time Walking Patterns Identify Specific Types Of Dementia

Newcastle University
    September 19 2019

Walking may be a key clinical tool in helping medics accurately identify the specific type of dementia a patient has, pioneering research has revealed.
    For the first time, scientists at Newcastle University have shown that people with Alzheimer's disease or Lewy body dementia have unique walking patterns that signal subtle differences between the two conditions.

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0919211806.htm

Default Re: For The First Time Walking Patterns Identify Specific Types Of Dementia

Walking patterns alone would seem a little imprecise, but added to other diagnostic tools, it can't hurt to have one more thing in the toolkit. Until reading this, I'd never heard of Lewy Body Dementia (LBD). I did not know a person can have Alzheimer's and LBD at the same time. One key distinction is LBD patients experience memory loss or loss of focus that can change from hour to hour, day to day. Alzheimer patients' memory loss or loss of focus generally does not tend to wax and wane from day to day. It's interesting to note that both dementia disorders involve accumulated, excess protein plaque in the brain. But, in LBD, the amount of acetylcholine in the brain is almost totally depleted, but not so with Alzheimer's. This helps to understand why getting to a cure remains so difficult.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:30 PM.

Default Re: For The First Time Walking Patterns Identify Specific Types Of Dementia

Once a substance or a nutrient or an enzyme is depleted, can be rectified with supplementation, I wonder... or is the damage/depletion permanent?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

As I understand it, acetylcholine is manufactured in the brain from the precursor choline. There is no way to supplement acetylcholine. Some supplements claim to be acetylcholine, but upon examination they are merely choline supplements with other stuff in them. And, even if one supplements with choline, the brain neurons lack the ability to varying degrees to synthesize acetylcholine from choline. Generally, Alzheimer's patients can still produce some acetylcholine, but LBD patients, to a much larger extent, lack the ability to synthesize and reuptake acetylcholine. This is significant as acetylcholine is a critical neurotransmitter involved in the memory function of the brain. So, based on my limited knowledge, I would guess that once the neurons lose the ability to manufacture acetylcholine the damage is done...it's permanent.

So many questions. One could eat eggs for the choline, but then what are the cofactors which the body uses to convert choline into acetylcholine? I have been reading a bit about this topic recently, but still am puzzled about some of these pieces.

Maurya, great question! As I understand it, the neurons (cholinergic neurons) located throughout the central nervous system and the brain convert choline to acetylcholine using an enzyme called choline acetyltransferase. One of the reasons mercury has been associated with Alzheimer's is because methylmercury interferes with the synthesis of the choline acetyltransfease enzyme, limiting its ability to convert choline to acetylcholine.

Mercury again! Thanks Mr Wiz!

A thank you from me too, Mr. Wiz. Now that I am trading my organic apples for my Amish neighbors' organic eggs, I am eating eggs more often, and I'm glad for the presence of choline.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

There was a lot of talk about aluminium causing AD some years ago. What happened to that?

Aluminum is still associated with AD. In fact, pretty much everything I said about mercury above can be substituted with the word aluminum. Aluminum affects the cholinergic neurons in the brain in much the same way as mercury. To be fair, it appears from my research that almost any metal in high enough concentrations can induce a cholinergic deficit in parts of the brain inhibiting the production of acetylcholine and other neurotransmitters, resulting in neurodegeneration, which can lead to AD, Parkinson's, Lewy Body, and all the rest.

Thread Information