Thread: 10% Weight Loss Could Send Type 2 Diabetes Into Remission

Default 10% Weight Loss Could Send Type 2 Diabetes Into Remission

Maria Cohut
    September 30 2019

A new study has found that if people achieve moderate weight loss within the first few years of a type 2 diabetes diagnosis, they could actually send the condition into remission.

Type 2 diabetes is a metabolic condition characterized by the body's inability to sufficiently process glucose (sugar). As a result, blood sugar levels are persistently high

Read more: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...20Daily%20News

Default Re: 10% Weight Loss Could Send Type 2 Diabetes Into Remission

Achieving a 10% weight loss is difficult for some type 2 diabetics because some of the diabetic medications actually promote weight "gain." According to the American Diabetes Association, insulin can cause weight gain as well as several of the 9 different classes of diabetes medication, including the sulfonylurea and thiazolidinedione type drugs. Fortunately, one of the more commonly prescribed drugs, metformin, has been generally associated with weight loss.
    Read more about weight gain/loss associated with the 9 different classes of diabetic medications here:
    https://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/20/3/159

I seriously question whether diabetes can ever be put into remission. It seems to be a condition like alcoholism, which can be controlled but never "cured." Prior to retirement, my BG was normal; a year after retirement, when I had quit smoking and become less physically active, my weight ballooned from 150 to 239. Today, 14 years later, I am at 139 and holding... And I lost those 100 pounds over the first 18 months. Maurya has met me in person and I think would confirm that I am at a normal and healthy weight. Is my diabetes in remission? Afraid not. I still practice intermittent fasting, abstain from grains and sugars, and stay as physically active as possible considering the bursitis in my hips which prevents me from walking more than 10 minutes at a time — but I can still carry two 50-lb. bags of grain across the barn every week. If diet and lifestyle could put diabetes in remission, I should get a trophy!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Maurya confirms all of this and then some. Islander is one amazing woman!

Aww... thanks, but... maybe just determined.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I seriously question whether diabetes can ever be put into remission. If diet and lifestyle could put diabetes in remission, I should get a trophy!
    Agree 100%. In the case of T2DM, remission is ill defined. What does it mean for a type 2 diabetic to go into remission?? Hard to talk about remission when the medical community does not even understand the etiology of this condition. Many experts believe T2DM is linked to metabolic syndrome. If true, metabolic syndrome is about much more than weight loss. Regarding etiology, one theory is that T2DM is an adult metabolic response to fetal malnutrition. Very interesting if that's true. But, clearly the experts don't know enough about what causes the etiology to render this condition into remission due simply to weight loss.

Doctors draw an imaginary line at the A1c of 6.5. Anything above that is diabetes, anything below that is Congratulations, you're no longer diabetic. The fact is, you're diabetic all the way down to 4.4-5.
    Consider that I've kept my A1c at 5.1-5.3 for years. Yet at my July eye exam (follow-up for macular degeneration), the doc was surprised to find no trace of the diabetic retinopathy he had seen at my January exam. Mind, he had never mentioned diabetic retinopathy previously, which annoyed me profoundly since I'm managing my condition with no medication so it's especially important to know whether I have to pay closer attention to something. At any rate, I assume my formula to replicate the OTC Preservision was responsible, since I had also jacked up my vitamin C daily dose. All good news.

Excellent point about being "diabetic all the way down to 4.4-5." The A1c is only half the story. The other significant factor is the "fasting serum blood sugar level," or the amount of glucose circulating in your blood after an 8 hour fast. So, an A1c of 6 correlates to an average fasting serum blood level of about 126 mg./dl. Although an A1c at or around 6 is considered the magic point at which one is or is not considered to be diabetic, the serum blood glucose level is too high. Fasting blood sugar levels should not exceed 90 mg./dl. To your point Islander, one would need to achieve an A1c at about 4.7 or lower to achieve a blood glucose level of 90 mg./dl or lower. At levels higher than 90 mg./dl, the body ramps up its production of Advanced Glycation End Products, or AGEs. AGEs are formed when excess glucose combines with proteins and fats. Among other things, AGEs cause excess inflammation in the body, contributing to a host of chronic health problems. If fasting blood sugar is above 90 mg./dl, a special effort should be made to consume "anti-glycating" substances, like R-alpha lipoic acid, resveratrol, grape seed extract, benfotiamine (vit. B1), vitamin C, L-carnosine, and curcumin.
    See A1c to Blood Glucose Conversion Table here: https://coping.us/images/A1C_to_Bloo...sion_table.pdf

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 10-08-19 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks for the handy chart, Mr. Wiz!

Not surprisingly, dozens of A1c to blood sugar conversion charts exist, but they don't all agree!! Seriously, a 6.0 A1c level should equal 126 mg./dl blood glucose level, but not true on most of the charts I reviewed. Frustrating...no wonder people are confused about their status. The American Diabetes Association's website doesn't have a conversion chart, but instead it offers a "conversion button." You enter your A1c number, click a button, and it tells you what your blood glucose level is. I entered several different A1c numbers at random, and the results differed from most charts I reviewed. So, the above chart is the most reliable based on my judgment. However, it by no means is the last word on the subject. Lol.

Thread Information