Thread: Audio Shows Hospital Kept Vegetative Patient on Life Support to Boost Survival Rates

Default Audio Shows Hospital Kept Vegetative Patient on Life Support to Boost Survival Rates

Caroline Chen
    Oct. 3, 2019

Darryl Young suffered brain damage during a heart transplant at Newark Beth Israel and never woke up. But, hardly consulting his family, doctors kept him alive for a year to avoid federal scrutiny.

On a Thursday morning this past April, 61-year-old Darryl Young was lying unconscious in the eighth-floor intensive care unit of Newark Beth Israel Medical Center. After suffering from congestive heart failure for years, Young, a Navy veteran and former truck driver with three children, had received a heart transplant on Sept. 21, 2018. He didn’t wake up after the operation and had been in a vegetative state ever since.

“Need to keep him alive till June 30 at a minimum,” responded Dr. Mark Zucker, director of the hospital’s heart and lung transplant programs.

Keep reading: https://www.propublica.org/article/a...investigations
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Audio Shows Hospital Kept Vegetative Patient on Life Support to Boost Survival Ra

Islander, thank you for posting this article. It made me take another look at my health care directive, which I hadn't reviewed in 10 yrs. The hospital and doctors were able to play "politics" with the patient in this story--Darryl Young--because he failed to document his medical treatment wishes in case he could no longer speak for himself. An Advance Health Care Directive--sometimes called a "health care proxy," or a "living will" are legal documents that express your desires for medical treatment when you can't speak for yourself. These documents are a good start, but the catch is, while these documents are legally recognized in most states, they are not legally binding. Docs are not legally bound to follow them, especially if the doc is opposed to your treatment wishes. So, it is absolutely critical to make sure your doc agrees to respect your treatment wishes should you not be able to speak for yourself. Also, almost all states grant the doc immunity so there's no punishment for following your wishes, like removing a breathing tube. Since state laws differ on these documents, your health care directive may not be legally recognized in another state that has different laws. So, if you receive life-threatening medical treatment in a different state from where your health care directive was created, you need to make sure your document meets the laws of the state where the medical treatment is being performed. Mr. Darryl Young obviously did not take any of these steps, which resulted in this very sad state of affairs.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 10-16-19 at 08:08 PM.

Default Re: Audio Shows Hospital Kept Vegetative Patient on Life Support to Boost Survival Ra

Good advice, Mr Wizard. It's past time for me to review mine, too.

Several years ago, I carried out a new advanced directive document. My attorney refused to do it for me, as he had disagreed with my rather extreme (in his opinion) views about what I did not want to allow at the end of my life. So I went to a local hospice oriented group called Continuum Care who did the document for me and even called in their notary to make it all legal. The glitch of course is that one does not walk around with this sort of document in one's pocket, so if I get whacked in a car crash or some such accident, who would be able to come up with the document in time to save me from the tender ministrations of the medical establishment?

Veteran Member

Why not carry it in your purse or pocket, or in the glove compartment if you have a car and are using it?

Good suggestions, Pattypans. In my wallet and on my phone (which goes where I go, even to the barn — i could fall out of the hayloft, who knows?) I have ICE numbers: In Case of Emergency. I have 4 children and each has been assigned specific responsibilities when I'm no longer able to make decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    The glitch of course is that one does not walk around with this sort of document in one's pocket, so if I get whacked in a car crash or some such accident, who would be able to come up with the document in time to save me from the tender ministrations of the medical establishment?
    The American Hospital Association developed a card to be carried in your wallet, purse, pocket that alerts others to the existence of your health care directive. See the link for a copy: https://www.aha.org/system/files/201...walletcard.pdf

**Be careful if you have signed up to be "organ donor," but your health directive states DNR (do not resuscitate) or DNI (do not intube..put on a breathing machine). The hospital/doctor may determine resuscitation or intubation takes precedent over your DNR/DNI wishes in order to save the organs for donation!!!!

Also, you can choose at least 2 people as your proxy and make copies of your directive available to them in case of emergency. You can also request that your doctor make your directive part of your medical file. Any hospital where you've received treatment will have a file on you...request to have your directive made part of your hospital file. Ask your attorney to make your document part of your legal file, even though he didn't want to execute the directive. Continuum Care may have other suggestions for sharing your document with others. As you may know, there is a Statutory Advance Health Directive for Residents of The Virgin Islands. Once this document is completed, I believe you can "register" it as an official document. But, I didn't take time to read all 5 pages of the document. See the Virgin Islands Statutory Directive document here:
    https://www.lifecaredirectives.com/a...0p%20Dwnld.pdf

Mr Wizard to the rescue, as always. Yes, I have made copies and have given them to several local people, as well as to my niece in the states who has my will, as well. I appreciate the links. As you have suspected, mine is quite a bit longer and more detailed than the standard one indicated, but that would be a good place to start for those who have not yet thought much about this.

I was not aware of AHA's little wallet-sized notification card. I printed it out and put it in my wallet.

Me too, and one for a friend. Thanks from me as well!

Thread Information