Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organic Apples Have More Diverse Microbiome Than Chemically-Grown Ones

Default Organic Apples Have More Diverse Microbiome Than Chemically-Grown Ones

GM Watch
    October 7 2019

New study suggests organic apples may be better for gut health

Organic apples contain a more diverse, balanced, and healthy bacterial community than chemically grown ones, according to a new study (see abstract below) of apple microbiomes (bacterial populations). This could make them healthier as well as better for the environment, though these aspects were not tested in the study.

Read more: https://www.organicconsumers.org/new...content=OB+638

Default Re: Organic Apples Have More Diverse Microbiome Than Chemically-Grown Ones

No surprise here. My my orchard is especially productive this year; I have more than enough fresh apples for my needs, have put up 22 pints of applesauce, and I've been trading the surplus for eggs with an Amish family.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Organic Apples Have More Diverse Microbiome Than Chemically-Grown Ones

What, no applejack??? With all your wine making, (moonshining, lol) have you not tried making applejack? When I used to work on the railroad along the PA-NY Delaware River Valley border, there was a home cooking cafe and produce stand in Deposit, NY where I/we would always stop for lunch when in the area. In the cold freezing weather, the owner would ferment a lot of his apples and then set the mash outdoors in a large, flat pan to freeze. The resultant alcohol would readily flow and separate from the frozen residual mash, and then get bottled. The owner would serve some of his applejack to his favorite regular customers gratis, as he had no liquor license.

Read about it, never tried it back in the day when it was possible to ferment cider. Now that the FDA has banned raw cider, you have to know a source....

What is raw cider? We call the fermented drink cider, and unfermented is just apple juice. It gets a bit confusing!

If you live here, it can be confusing! Historically, cider is the juice that's pressed from fresh raw apples. Stored over time, it will ferment, i.e. become mildly alcoholic. If you want to preserve the juice of apples, it must be pasteurized and bottled; that's called "apple juice." Like pasteurized milk, the enzymes and beneficial bacteria of the raw product have been destroyed. Apple juice cannot be fermented.

Now here's the problem. Roughly 10 years ago, the FDA banned the sale of cider as we know it, i.e. raw apple juice straight from the press. It had to be pasteurized. I used to bring bushels of apples to a local press every fall, and bring back gallons of cider to be sold, bartered, frozen to enjoy later. But after the FDA decision, the local press was disassembled and stored. Now, something called "cider" is still sold in supermarkets and other outlets. It looks and smells like fresh cider but it's not.

Of course there will still be people with backyard presses who will make cider for home consumption and to share with friends... And if you are lucky, you might know someone with a somewhat larger, less labor-intensive press who will have fresh cider for sale. You're just not likely to see it advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Read about it, never tried it back in the day when it was possible to ferment cider. Now that the FDA has banned raw cider, you have to know a source....
    I was only suggesting applejack (hard cider) for your own personnel consumption, much like your home made wine.

Organic (baking) apples, (such as Granny Smith when available), are important to me for my daily WHOLE oat (not crimped, rolled, or even steel cut) groats breakfast. To update from my previous HH oatmeal comments, since this is not store bought "convenient", crappy (instant) oatmeal in a box, but rather bought from an organic bulk dispenser at my co-op, I PLAN AHEAD and pre-soak and rinse 2 cups of groats submerged in a deep pot of water with a stirred in 1/4 cup of Bragg's ACV, for 24 hours in 2, 12 hour events, to reduce any lectins (phytic acid) and saponins.

Then the 2 cups of soaked and rinsed WHOLE groats are put in a pot of water at 1 1/2 cups water (not the 2 cups I previously posted) to each soaked and rinsed cup of groats, (only 3 cups water to 2 soaked cups groats), to be boiled, and also add that diced and sliced Granny Smith (or whatever available) organic apple at the same time.

That pot full of WHOLE groats with diced apple is then brought to a full boil at which time the heat is completely turned off and allowed to stand and cool for 24 hours, and eventually, after an hour or two when all liquid is absorbed, stirred to break it up, and then placed in the fridge once the batch comes down to room temperature, for the next day. https://slism.com/diet/resistant-starch-diet.html https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...sistant-starch

The end result is a much more nutty and crunchy apple flavored (gr)oat meal, (hardly slimey and pasty). And even though the groats were brought to a full boil, that heat was kept to a minimum, overall time-wise, thus helping to preserve the nutrients in the diced apple as well as the groats.

No need for a sugary apple cobbler, especially after the ghee/butter and cinnamon has been added. And perhaps a little organic maple syrup can be added if you're careful with your carb consumption. That pot full of groats lasts me close to a week for one person, and when I see I'm running low in my pot of groats, I start the above procedure all over again, so as not to break up my breakfast routine. And again, just PLAN AHEAD.

OH! And the same above procedure applies to preparing quinoa with apple, the only difference being that a 24 hour soak is not necessary as there are no lectins (phytic acid) involved with quinoa. But a 4-6 hour presoak to rid the saponins is still needed. I also wonder how all the above could apply to buckwheat and/or perhaps any other "healthy grain"??? Anyone.
    Last edited by grulla; 10-13-19 at 12:40 PM. Reason: faulty link developed

Rice merely needs a thorough rinse before boiling. Quinoa needs an hour soak followed by that brief cooking I describe in the Kitchen forum. There's also a flaked version that cooks in 90 seconds; I prepare that one with fresh diced pear chunks, chopped walnuts and crystallized ginger, as a stand-alone meal.

Very informative article. Who knew we eat about 100 million bacterial cells with each apple. One reason for less bacterial diversity among conventionally grown apples is the use of pesticides. Apples make the Environmental Working Group's list of the top 5 dirtiest fruits & veggies every year. "Conventional" apples are heavily sprayed with multiple chemicals to repel bugs and insects. However, diphenylamine--an antioxidant chemical--is applied after apples are harvested to prevent the skin of apples in cold storage from developing brown patches, known as "storage scald." Worse yet, as diphenylamine breaks down on the apples, nitrosamines are formed. Nitrosamines are widely considered to be carcinogenic. The European Union has banned the use of diphenylamine, while the U.S. EPA claims it will continue to study the issue.
    Read more about diphenylamine here: https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/apples.php
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 1 Week Ago at 09:09 PM.

"Needs more study" is the standard copout. Vitamin C prevents the common cold? Vitamin D builds the immune system? Glyphosate is a carcinogen? Vitamin C prevents osteoporosis? "Needs more study."

Mr. Wizard, your replies are often more informative than the original articles; at the very least, they include new information. Thanks for your continuing contributions.

Aw shucks, Islander. What a nice thing to say. Two things I've learned during my 8 years as a member of HH: 1. Follow the money; and 2. There's always more to the story. So, the original posted articles are like "teasers" for me, then I go in search of the rest of the story. Sometimes, I think I overdo it, but I do appreciate that you see it as a contribution. Thanks.

What Islander said! I always learn something from your posts Mr Wiz.

Thanks, Julieanne. You taught me to always question who paid for a study to be conducted. Often times, the study's conclusion will line up with the interest of the person or organization paying for the study. The great thing about HH is the diversity in each member's experiences and that we're all independent thinkers. There's no "group think" here. We all express our own individual opinions, which usually leads to enlightenment for all of us.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 10-17-19 at 02:14 PM.

Veteran Member

So true, Mr. Wizard, about the HH community. And I whole-heartedly agree with Islander about your contributions. Please keep them coming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information