Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massive 5.6 pound avocado in Hawaii wins Guinness World Records title

Default Massive 5.6 pound avocado in Hawaii wins Guinness World Records title

Sophie Lewis
    OCTOBER 11, 2019

A 5.6-pound Hawaiian avocado has earned the Guinness World Records title for the world's heaviest avocado. Now that's a lot of guacamole.
    The Pokini family, who live on the island of Maui, received the certificate from Guinness this week, according to The Maui News. Guinness officials said the average avocado weighs just 6 ounces — a fraction of the size of the new world record holder.
    "It was just for fun," Juliane Pokini said. "We are showing the world that Hawaii produces record-setting avocados."

Continue at: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/massive...records-title/
    Last edited by Islander; 10-12-19 at 09:22 PM.

Default Re: Massive 5.6 pound avocado in Hawaii wins Guinness World Records title

I posted this in the "Organic Farming and Gardening" forum, but I have to question if chemical fertilizers may have been used??? OTOH, Hawaii is well known for it's fertile volcanic soil.
    Last edited by grulla; 10-12-19 at 08:10 AM.

Default Re: Massive 5.6 pound avocado in Hawaii wins Guinness World Records title

grulla, it must have been that fertile volcanic soil because the owners claim no fertilizers were used, according to the article. Heck, they claimed they didn't even water the 20 ft. tree. I didn't know avocado trees grew to be 20 ft. tall?? Avocados have been cited as the "cleanest" of all fruits & veggies by the Environmental Working Group, which publishes a list of the dirtiest and cleanest fruits & veggies every year. Avocados have enjoyed the #1 spot for the past 3 years. Apparently, they require almost no fertilization, except a little nitrogen (manure, fish emulsion) and zinc (shellfish) now and again.

And right now, wonder of wonders, they're on sale here for 99¢. I know they're good for me... I just wish they tasted more like, um, pears... or plums... or almost anything but "avocado" flavor.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I agree. I'm not a fan of the avocado taste. After about a teaspoon of guacamole, I'm ready to move on.

Islander, do you add lemon or lime juice and salt? That's how I eat them on their own. I love the texture in a salad, and avocado on toast is a quick breakfast.

Lets not forget last December's HH thread about listeria in/on avocados:
    https://www.hawkeshealth.net/communi...light=avocados

I always like buying fruit, such as greenish bananas,firm, 'crisp', and amylose semi-ripe. But the one exception for me are avocados which I prefer a bit soft with black skin, as they are easier to spread on a blue chip right out of the skin, and unlike other ripe fruit, fructose free.

Julieanne, chopped into a salad, the flavor disappears, melding with the dressing. But if all I want for lunch is, say, a half avo with maybe a slice of cheese, I will do something to spice it up. Maybe some cumin or garlic mixed with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of sunflower seeds for texture. Never tried avocado toast on a slice of GF bread... maybe it's time I do that.

And here is a timely article this morning from Dr. Mercola as to how "scientists" are screwing around with one of Mother Natures perfect fruits, the avocado. https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...-avocados.aspx
    Last edited by grulla; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:09 AM.

grulla, thanks for the Mercola link. Genetically modified avocados...how sad? Thank goodness for the Pokini family in Maui and other farmers, who just let mother nature have her way and grow 5.6 pound avocados!!

I'm always open to learning something new, preferably not from Mercola. His site annoys me in a thousand ways. Take this sort of thing, for example: "Further, eating one-half of a fresh medium Hass avocado with a significantly inhibited the production of the inflammatory compound Interleukin-6 (IL-6), compared to eating a burger without fresh avocado, suggesting they have anti-inflammatory effects.27" Because I've spent half a lifetime reading student writing, I can see that the word "hamburger" was omitted — something any half-witted proofreader should have noticed. Yes, I'm quibbling. I'm afraid the structure of English is embedded in my DNA.
    Anyway, glad to be advised that Monsanto/Bayer will mess with avocados, which I will not live long enough to see.

"Yes, I'm quibbling. I'm afraid the structure of English is embedded in my DNA."
    UH OH, the teacher has the ruler out for a crack on my knuckles...lol!
    Last edited by Islander; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    UH OH, the teacher has the ruler out for a crack on my knuckles...lol!
    You did nothing wrong. Mercola's hired help were asleep at the switch. You dare not mention that sort of thing in the comments; they'll correct it but you're the one who'll get the crack on the knuckles for noticing.

How fortuitous! I just ate half a local avocado in my salad for dinner, along with some moringa leaves, picked with great thankfulness from one of the trees in my yard. Delicious.

Veteran Member

What does moringa taste like, Maurya? And how cool that you have moringa trees in your yard!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information