Thread: Beauty is only peel deep: New delivery service offers 'ugly' produce

Default Beauty is only peel deep: New delivery service offers 'ugly' produce

Maureen Feighan
    June 20, 2019

A new grocery delivery service will launch next week in Metro Detroit that puts a different spin on fruits and veggies that may look “ugly” or imperfect on the outside but taste just as good on the inside.

Imperfect Produce, a grocery subscription service started in 2015 and already available in two dozen cities across the United States, aims to reduce food waste by delivering boxes of fresh fruit and produce to customers that might otherwise be thrown out by farmers because of slight imperfections or irregular sizes.

Continue: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...or/1488088001/
    Last edited by Islander; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:12 PM. Reason: 100-word limit

Default Re: Beauty is only peel deep: New delivery service offers 'ugly' produce

This idea usually applies to locally grown organic produce from health food co-ops.

Default Re: Beauty is only peel deep: New delivery service offers 'ugly' produce

Sounds like a great idea to me. It's a shame the amount of perfectly good food that's disposed of because of a few imperfections. And, at $12 a box, people who otherwise couldn't afford it will now be able to eat healthy fruit at an affordable price.

Veteran Member

Wonderful idea and plan. Shocking statistics!

When we lived in Argentina, it was fascinating to compare the fruits grown in two different cities that were just a few hours away from each other. Fruit grown in Mendoza, the larger of the two cities, was definitely better-looking. The San Juan-grown fruit was not as beautiful, but won hands-down in the flavor department. San Juan is a very dry place, and the farmers used a simple irrigation system based on fairly shallow trenches. I don't know if that had anything to do with their delicious fruit, such as peaches (I have never had such delicious, juicy peaches!), apricots, and grapes, or not.
    Last edited by Pattypans; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:01 AM.

I remember a number of similar plans, both here and in Europe. As I recall, produce that would otherwise have been discarded for cosmetic reasons is displayed alongside the beautiful counterparts at a significantly reduced price, and they sold very well, according to reports. I wonder whether this practice continues to be embraced.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information