Thread: How A High Salt Diet May Lead To Cognitive Decline

Default How A High Salt Diet May Lead To Cognitive Decline

Ana Sandoiu
    October 25 2019

New research suggests that a diet high in salt may promote cognitive decline by destabilizing levels of the protein tau. Excessive levels of tau are a hallmark of dementia.

Dr. Giuseppe Faraco, an assistant professor of research in neuroscience in the Feil Family Brain and Mind Research Institute at Weill Cornell Medicine in New York, is the lead author of the new study, which appears in the journal Nature NeuroscienceTrusted Source.
    As Dr. Faraco and team explain in their paper, an excessive intake of salt has always had associations with poor cerebrovascular function, and high salt intake is an independent, well established risk factor for dementia.

Read more: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...Daily%20News#1
    Last edited by Julieanne; 10-27-19 at 07:57 AM.

Default Re: How A High Salt Diet May Lead To Cognitive Decline

Two points: #1. The research primarily targets sodium from processed and restaurant food as the real culprit, not the salt shaker. #2. This article does not define what is meant by "excessive" salt intake. And, low and behold, my research shows there is no universal agreement on what is excessive. Generally, though, 1,500 mg. per day (1/2 teaspoon) is recommended for people with diabetes, kidney disease, hypertension, etc. Everyone else should limit sodium intake to 2,300 mg. per day. Some fast food and restaurant meals can contain between 9,000 - 12,000 mg. of salt. Wow!!

Other sources of excessive sodium include canned soups like Campbell's.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Agree, canned soups are loaded with salt. Also, canned beans, canned fish, especially sardines, and canned tomato products are high in salt, just like bread, pizza, and cold cut meats. The few canned items I purchase are all low-sodium or sodium free. The FDA requires products labeled "low-sodium" must be less than 140 mg. per serving.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    Agree, canned soups are loaded with salt. Also, canned beans, canned fish, especially sardines, and canned tomato products are high in salt, just like bread, pizza, and cold cut meats. The few canned items I purchase are all low-sodium or sodium free. The FDA requires products labeled "low-sodium" must be less than 140 mg. per serving.
    I buy all my sardines packed in plain water, and as far as I can see, are not adulterated with salt, unless perhaps from the ocean. Also, some of the imported Mexican sardines in tomato sauce are worth checking out, just make sure to read the ingredient list on the can. And the anchovies I buy are packed in OO.

Typically, sardines packed in plain water contain the least amount of salt. But, some of those packed in OO and tomato sauce have quite a bit of salt. In water = 70 mg. per serving. In OO = 200 mg. per serving--almost 3 times as much.

As usual with these sodium related issues, I am wondering if the problem is excess sodium or if it is improper balance between sodium and potassium. Potassium rich foods are uncommon in the standard American junk food diet.

Good point. I don't consume processed, salty foods at all but I do have to eat about half a banana daily for enough potassium to avoid leg cramps at night.

Veteran Member

I think magnesium helps with leg cramps, too, Islander, and also with sleep. I guess bananas have some magnesium, too, but I don't know how much. When we were almost out of melatonin, I quit taking it and drank a little water with magnesium chloride instead, and it seemed to help me sleep well. Amazingly, it's one of the very few supplements we can get here that seems to be good quality and is also extremely inexpensive! A packet of crystals, I guess you'd call them, that you dissolve in a liter (about a quart) of water, costs under two dollars. They even sell it a couple of blocks from where I live, in a very simple neighborhood.

Thank you for thinking of that, Pattypans. I have used the magnesium crystals in the past but it's much more convenient to take tablets, which I do every morning. I know most of us are deficient in magnesium to begin with, so along with the morning dose, I also eat a lot of dark leafy greens because they are also instrumental in delaying the advancement of my macular degeneration, being high in lutein and other phytonutrients.
    There are so many forms of magnesium that it's a challenge to find exactly the right one for you. The crystals are magnesium citrate, which is relatively low in bioavailability. I've settled on magnesium glycinate, which seems to work well for me and comes with a higher percentage of Mg than the citrate.

Veteran Member

I use magnesium chloride, which is readily available here.

Thread Information