Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mild Hearing Loss Can Double Dementia Risk

Default Mild Hearing Loss Can Double Dementia Risk

Johns Hopkins Medicine
    Undated, no author cited

Hearing loss is frustrating for those who have it and for their loved ones. But recent research from Johns Hopkins reveals that it also is linked with walking problems, falls and even dementia.
    Researchers from Johns Hopkins, in a study that tracked 639 adults for nearly 12 years, found that mild hearing loss doubled dementia risk. Moderate loss tripled risk, and people with a severe hearing impairment were five times more likely to develop dementia.

Keep reading:
    https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...f-hearing-loss
    Last edited by Islander; 1 Week Ago at 07:10 AM. Reason: formatting

Default Re: Mild Hearing Loss Can Double Dementia Risk

If you click on the link below, it will pull up the Johns Hopkins hearing loss/dementia study:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...f-hearing-loss
    Last edited by Islander; 1 Week Ago at 07:31 AM.

That's not good news - my hearing loss is quite severe, and I have been getting more and more forgetful. Fingers crossed this doesn't apply to everyone!

Julieanne, do you wear hearing aids? I use the best I can afford, which is the second-best my audiologist offers, but still very pricey. For the first time, my Medicare supplemental health insurance covers $1000 toward a purchase every two years. I wouldn't be carrying additional health insurance except that this company offers considerable benefits at no cost to me. If I were to purchase a slightly better plan, yes, there would be a monthly premium.
    My hearing loss is also severe (the result of a gunshot) and even the best hearing aids cannot replace all that's been lost. The biggest impact occurs at public events. The local UU church used to sponsor guest speakers on interesting topics, but I've given up attending because I couldn't understand the speakers. The building's acoustics may have been at fault, but I've also dropped the local book club because the members are elderly and just won't speak up! I drive a half-hour to attend the wonderful non-fiction book club where I have no problem hearing — possibly because many of the dozen members are former educators and they know how to use their "classroom voice"!
    BTW, I have no problem with falling or forgetting...so far.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I was totally unaware of how hearing loss affected the structure of the brain. This adds a different dimension to the importance of hearing aids, which range from $1,000 to $4,500 each. Sadly, only 22 state Medicaid programs cover some hearing aids costs for adults, while the other 28 states don't, according to the Hearing Loss Assoc. of America (HLAA). Three states--New Hampshire, Rhode Island, & Arkansas--require private insurance plans to cover some hearing aids costs. A state-by-state breakdown of hearing aid coverage can be found on HLAA's website:
    https://www.hearingloss.org/hearing-...nsurance-laws/

Islander, I do have hearing aids. They are free for pensioners in Oz, and I get an upgrade every five years. I can get free aids, or choose to add the $1,00 subsidy to a better pair. At $4,00 to $5,000 that's above my budget, and these work quite well. The next pair will be even better.

I no longer go to meetings to listen to a speaker, I miss too much. Thank heavens most TV programmes are subtitled here. My book club is held in a small room, with good acoustics, and mostly clear speakers. So I get by.

I find this to be discouraging news. Currently I am acting in a community theatre play, but this probably will be my last one. I just do not hear well enough to catch my entrance cues for each scene. A couple of very good stage managers usually will give me a poke when it is time to make my entrance, but I cannot depend upon this sort of thing for future productions. I do have Medicare and Tricare, but neither one will cover any sort of hearing aids, and as a low income person, paying thousands out of pocket totally is out of the question.

Maurya, I have what's called a Medicare Advantage Plan, a health insurance policy that is somehow affiliated with Medicare (I really don't understand how). When I was sent to the ER a couple of months ago, it covered most of the $13,000 ER visit and associated tests. It's covering the biggest part of the hydracortisone shots to my hips. To a degree, it covers dental and hearing, which of course Medicare does not touch. I think next year it will offer $1500 toward hearing aids. The premiums? Zero. I could get better coverage if I paid something, but zero is what I can afford. The name is Wellcare and I wish I could refer my agent to you... I can ask if she knows whether there's a rep in the V.I. who could meet with you.

I can check this, once I get some time again. Thanks.

Alas, just heard back from my agent, and there's no rep in the USVI. I'm so sorry!

No surprise there, but thanks!

Maurya: There are numerous organizations that will pay some or all costs for hearing aids, according to Hearing Loss Association of America (hearingloss.org). Also, the link below takes you a Financial Assistance Guide that outlines how financial assistance is provided. It also lists info. for Tricare members and their beneficiaries. Hope this helps.

https://www.hearing.org/hearingorg/d...ance-Guide.pdf

Widex, Signia, and Unitron are 3 "international" hearing aid manufacturers. Almost all hearing aid manufacturers run "trials" on new and/or upgraded hearing aids. During their "trial programs," they offer FREEE hearing aids to people willing to participate in their trial programs, according to healthyhearing.com. Here's a link to major hearing aid manufacturers:
    https://www.healthyhearing.com/heari...-manufacturers

The Starkey Hearing Foundation provides free digital, state-of-the-art, hearing aids to low income Americans, and those around the world. Learn more about their program here: https://www.starkeyhearingfoundation.org/Hear-Now

Hmm. Mine are made by Widex. I shall have to inquire. Thanks for turning over yet another rock for us, Mr. Wizard!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information