Thread: China Approves World's First New Alzheimer's Drug

Default China Approves World's First New Alzheimer's Drug

Stephen Chen
    November 3 2019

• Clinical trial shows effectiveness in treating mild to moderate forms of the disease, and it may even improve cognitive function
    • Researchers noticed elderly people who regularly eat seaweed are less likely to develop the condition

The world’s first new drug for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease in nearly two decades – and perhaps the only treatment with the potential to reverse the condition – was approved by the Chinese government on Saturday night.The National Medical Products Administration said the drug, Oligomannate, had been approved for the treatment of “mild to moderate Alzheimer’s disease and improving cognitive function”.

ws/china/science/article/3036119/china-approves-oligomannate-worlds-first-new-alzheimers-drug-20
    Last edited by Islander; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:43 AM.

Default Re: China Approves World's First New Alzheimer's Drug

This is great news. Surprise the drug was based on seaweed, and that elderly people who regularly eat seaweed are less likely to develop Alzheimers. Most elderly Asians have been eating seaweed all their lives, not just when they became elderly. Lots of unanswered questions, but still good progress. Perhaps, more developments like this will eventually lead to a drug that actually "prevents" the disease.

I have been taking kelp tablets for iodine for some time. Is it likely to have the same effect as eating seaweed?

Kelp tablets are an excellent substitute for eating seaweed, since most kelp comes from a brown seaweed type. After learning that seaweed absorbs heavy metals--arsenic, cadmium, lead, etc.--from the waters it's grown in, I started taking "organic" kelp tablets, which are certified to not contain many of the harmful substances found in our waters today. Most organic kelp is grown in waters near Iceland and Nova Scotia, both known for some of the cleanest, purest water anywhere.

Thanks Mr wiz, glad to hear that. Mine are from Icelandic kelp.

I've been using a product labeled "Vitamin Sea" (various strains of flaked seaweed) for years — not daily, but I often sprinkle it generously on salads, soups, stir-frys. Now I'm beginning to wonder about the heavy metals. I also bought a bottle of kelp recently to add to my dog's food on the recommendation of a friend who claimed it would prevent hot spots. I was debating taking some myself (no, I'm not troubled by hot spots, but...) But it's not organic and doesn't list the geographical origin. I guess I'll have to investigate.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

In my comments above 2 days ago, I stated there were lots of unanswered questions about this drug. Well, upon further research, several experts from U.S. and other countries are now questioning the approval of the new Chinese Alzheimer's drug. The questionable issues are numerous, including the legitimacy of the phase II clinical trial results. The Chinese National Medical Products Administration (equivalent to the FDA in the U.S.) is taking heat over its approval process and may be poised to withdraw its approval. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    Stephen Chen
    November 3 2019

• Clinical trial shows effectiveness in treating mild to moderate forms of the disease, and it may even improve cognitive function
    • Researchers noticed elderly people who regularly eat seaweed are less likely to develop the condition

The world’s first new drug for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease in nearly two decades – and perhaps the only treatment with the potential to reverse the condition – was approved by the Chinese government on Saturday night.The National Medical Products Administration said the drug, Oligomannate, had been approved for the treatment of “mild to moderate Alzheimer’s disease and improving cognitive function”.

ws/china/science/article/3036119/china-approves-oligomannate-worlds-first-new-alzheimers-drug-20

Thanks for sharing it Julieanne. Such and incredible news to hear today. Just made my day

Better watch this space, robinsonsjacob, because approval for the new drug may be withdrawn, according to Mr. Wizard's findings.

Update on Chinese Alzheimer drug, called Oligomannate or GV 971:
    --Chinese regulators have now given the new Alzheimer's drug a "conditional" approval, wants more data on long term safety.
    --Phase 3 clinical trial was conducted only in China for only 9 months on roughly 800 people.
    --Typically, Alzheimer's drug clinical trials run at least 18 months, with much larger number of participants.
    --U.S. and U.K. scientists want to see ALL Phase 3 data.
    --Chinese drug company plans to conduct "Global" clinical trials in 2020 to gain approval in other countries.
    --U.S. & other world scientists want more data before further clinical trials are conducted globally.
    **This one's not over folks. Read more about the above details here:
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ing-questions/

If it sounds too good to be true...

And, now the "conditionally-approved" Chinese Alzheimer's drug has sparked other companies to revive their failed Alzheimer's drugs. Biogen Pharmaceuticals, headquartered in Cambridge, Mass., recently announced it will seek FDA approval for its Alzheimer's drug that failed to produce positive phase 3 clinical trial results. It now claims a new breakthrough!! Wouldn't be surprised to see Eli Lilly, Pfizer, and others revive their failed attempts at new Alzheimer's drugs. The competitive juices have been jacked up among countries and multi-national drug companies vying to be first to market with new Alzheimer's drugs that are not ready for prime time!! Now--more than ever--it is critical for the FDA and regulators in other countries to "dot the i's and cross the t's before approving any of these new Alzheimer's drugs.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 6 Days Ago at 07:36 PM.

Wouldn't it be refreshing to see pharmaceutical companies searching for a cause rather than a treatment for a specific condition? We have yet to know how to prevent Alzheimer's, yet companies are trampling all over themselves trying to find a cure for a disease whose origin leaves them baffled.

Dr. Marshall at the Center for Alzheimer Research & Treatment at Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women's Hospital suggests three things to prevent Alzheimer's:
    1. Exercise; 2. Eat Meditteranean; and 3. Aim for 7 to 8 hours sleep per night.
    **Sleep helps clears the amyloid plaque from the brain. Who sleeps 7 hours every night??

I do. My body insists on it. If for some reason I don't get all 7 hours overnight, I'll fall asleep midafternoon, and if I happen to be driving, I'll pull over at the first convenient place to stop and nap. I learned to do that after falling asleep at the wheel and totaling my Prius.

Thread Information