Thread: What Can You Do To Avoid Alzheimer's Disease?

Default What Can You Do To Avoid Alzheimer's Disease?

Harvard Medical Health Letter
    July 31, 2019

Alzheimer's disease, the most common form of dementia, is characterized by the accumulation of two types of protein in the brain: tangles (tau) and plaques (amyloid-beta). Eventually, Alzheimer's kills brain cells and takes people's lives.

Alzheimer's causes
    What causes Alzheimer's? We still aren't sure. "For 1% of all cases, there are three genes that determine definitively whether or not you will have Alzheimer's, and all three relate to amyloid-beta production, which in these cases is likely the cause of Alzheimer's," says Dr. Gad Marshall, associate medical director of clinical trials at the Center for Alzheimer Research and Treatment at Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women's Hospital. "For the other 99%, amyloid and tau are closely associated with Alzheimer's, but many things may contribute to the development of symptoms, such as inflammation in the brain, vascular risk factors, and lifestyle."

Keep Reading: https://www.health.harvard.edu/alzhe...eimers-disease

Last edited by Islander; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:55 AM.

Default Re: What Can You Do To Avoid Alzheimer's Disease?

So if a mere 1% can be attributed to genetics, that leaves a lot of explaining to do. Given that we live in an increasingly polluted world (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_pollution_in_Delhi, or check any tv news network for current conditions as of November 14, 2019), there's a big playing field where multiple causal factors may be in play.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I was not aware that sleeping 7 to 8 hours helps clear amyloid plaque from the brain. Now I have a legitimate excuse for sleeping longer. I would like to see a study proving this sleep/amyloid brain thing.

Mercola had an article on sleep today, which I trashed after skimming. I will dig it up and see if it contains anything pertinent about amyloid plaque.

Edit/update: he had a passing reference to Alzeimer's so I looked at his source. Not much detail, but they linked to yet another study so I went deeper. Here's where I ended: "Sleep and Alzheimer disease pathology—a bidirectional relationship"
    A paragraph pulled from the introduction: "The pathology of AD emerges prior to any symptoms, with the first identifiable changes occurring ~10–15 years before cognitive symptoms. In the earliest stage of preclinical AD, soluble amyloid-? (A?) becomes insoluble and aggregates into amyloid plaques, initially manifesting as a reduction in soluble A?42 levels in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF).7 Our research group has focused on individuals in this first stage of preclinical AD who are cognitively normal, but have biomarker evidence of amyloid plaques. Compared with their peers who do not have evidence of amyloid plaques, these individuals have worse quality of sleep, as assessed by actigraphy-measured sleep efficiency and wake time after sleep onset.8 These differences are significant even after adjustment for age, sex, and the presence of the APOE ?4 allele (an important risk factor for late-onset, sporadic AD). Tau tangles, the other pathological hallmark of AD, might also adversely affect sleep or circadian rhythms, but have not been investigated."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3979317/
    Last edited by Islander; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:15 PM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information