Thread: Antidepressants And Other Drugs In Water Environment Change Fish Behaviour

Default Antidepressants And Other Drugs In Water Environment Change Fish Behaviour

Shannonn Corva and Emma Pedler
    November 22 2019

Researchers at Monash University have found the behaviour of fish can change if they ingest pharmaceuticals, such as antidepressants that have been incorrectly disposed of.
    Key points:

• Research finds antidepressants in waterways can affect the social behaviour of fish
    • Marine life has been found with abnormalities, including genital defects, thought to have been caused by contraceptive drugs
    • One researcher says pharmaceutical companies need to think more about what happens to drugs once we've taken them

Read more: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-...viour/11711386
    Last edited by Julieanne; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:26 PM.

Default Re: Antidepressants And Other Drugs In Water Environment Change Fish Behaviour

So we have poisoned the planet, and no one cares because the bottom line is $$$.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Antidepressants And Other Drugs In Water Environment Change Fish Behaviour

Antidepressants, by comparison, is the least of offenders. The FDA maintains a "flush list," suggesting that it is OK to flush unused opiods, like oxycodone, methadone, fentanyl, diazepam, etc., down the toilet. The EPA found that over 740 tons of unused pharma drugs were improperly discarded in 2015. Nursing homes appear to be the major offenders. Even the pharma drugs that end up in landfills eventually make their way into ground water. And wouldn't you know it, pharmaceutical companies balk at the notion that they should help pay for proper drug disposal programs. Drugs in our water will undoubtedly become worse as more baby boomers reach the age when prescription drug use increases.
    See FDA's "drug flush list." -- https://www.fda.gov/drugs/disposal-u...erous-medicine

And then there's industrial fertilizer runoff contaminating the ocean, lakes, and fish:
    https://homeguides.sfgate.com/causes...off-77148.html Sorry Charlie

At the bottom of that page is a series of "home decor" videos. I guess the first one is ok but the second and third are flat-out wrong! The photos on mulching your plants don't remotely match the advice ("cover with a blanket" shows a guy watering with a hose) and neither do the photos of flowers (the shot of lilies is captioned "tulips" and so forth). What a laugh!

Why yes, I am easily distracted.

Unused or expired drugs can be taken to a pharmacy (here in Oz) where they are incinerated. I guess the gov pays for this - I didn't ask.

Collection programs are run here occasionally. I don't know who sponsors them or what becomes of all the drugs that are turned in. Sorry, that wasn't much help, was it?

Since 2010, the U.S. has sponsored a "National Prescription Drug Take Back Day." Actually, it's 2 days--a day in April and a day in October each year. Citizens are encouraged to drop off unwanted pharma drugs to more than 6,000 designated locations nationwide. This past October, more than 400 tons of prescription medications were dropped off, according to the Dept. of Justice. In addition, almost all states and local jurisdictions run some version of a drug take back program.

What Mr Wizard said. When they do that here, it is sponsored by the DEA and they set up at the Post Office. I really only became aware of this because my neighbor works for the DEA and he told me about it. As I do not use drugs in the first place, I never have had any to turn in.

Maurya, you are exactly correct. I said the Dept. of Justice. But, I should have been more specific. It is the DEA that runs the give back program. And, DEA falls under the direction of the Dept. of Justice. You keep me honest. Lol.

Thread Information