Thread: For Brain Health One Food Makes All The Difference

Default For Brain Health One Food Makes All The Difference

Health Impact News
    April 22nd, 2019

Botanically, it’s closer to an animal than a plant. Some types glow in the dark, others are hallucinogenic, many are poisonous.
    Fortunately, the safe, edible variety is not only chock full of nutrients, but could be the single, most valuable food for the brain.
    You may have guessed I’m talking about mushrooms. I’ve long recommended them for a whole range of health benefits. In fact, I take extracts of four different mushrooms every day.

Read more: http://www.awakeningfromalzheimers.c...he-difference/
    Last edited by Islander; 1 Week Ago at 08:05 AM. Reason: Correct spelling in headline, add date

Default Re: For Brain Health One Food Makes All The Difference

Much as I enjoy mushrooms, I think it would be a challenge to incorporate them in one dish or another every single day. I used to eat them more frequently when we had a discount table in the produce section. Normally the basic button mushroom is rather pricey and they just go up from there. However, having read this article gives me an incentive to try to incorporate more of them in my diet.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I slice two shrooms each and every day into my veggie (meat on the side) breakfast omelet/skillet. The shrooms are packaged and sold organic at both my food co-op as well as SMs. The co-op also makes available loose shrooms sold in bulk.

Grulla makes me smile. There was a time when I could eat the same breakfast five days a week: one fresh gently fried egg, a slice of homemade toast spread with homemade butter and homemade apple jelly, every. Single. Day. In my old age, I look for more variety. Sometimes it's oatmeal with blueberries, sometimes quinoa flakes with pears, ginger and walnuts, some days homemade granola, some days ground flaxseed with peanut butter and honey. I'm more likely to do an omelette for supper than for breakfast, and no two are ever the same. There are always onions and usually peppers and often cheese, but beyond that anything goes; it pretty much depends on what I have on hand: zucchini, yellow squash, avocado, squash "noodles," sausage, bacon, boudin noir... But the fresh organic eggs are always the star of the show.

The article identifies "ergothioneine" (an antioxidant) as the nutrient responsible for reducing the risk of mild cognitive impairment. A recent study of 36,000 Japanese men showed an inverse relationship between mushroom consumption 1 to 2 times per week and the incident of prostate cancer. The reduce risk was attributed primarily to ergothioneine. Shiitake, king oyster, maitake, and white button, all contain large amounts of ergothioneine. So, for men who consume mushrooms on a regular basis, they may be able to reduce their risk of cognitive decline and prostate cancer. How's that for a twofer?

I'll be grateful just for lowering the risk of cognitive decline, thank you very much!

Thread Information