Thread: This is What Your Overactive Brain Needs to Get a Good Night’s Sleep

Default This is What Your Overactive Brain Needs to Get a Good Night’s Sleep

Tara Swart
    August 20, 2017

You already know how much better you feel after a good night’s sleep, but sleeping well helps your brain in less apparent ways than just not being groggy the next day. In fact, getting seven to nine hours of sleep each night can help secure your cognitive well-being.
    In the short term, it gives your brain time to flush out refuse matter that builds up–like protein plaques and beta amyloid tangles–through a kind of waste chute called the glymphatic system. And over the long term, that can help stave off diseases like Alzheimer’s. So it pays to know a few tricks and habits to help yourself along to the land of nod.

Keep reading: https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...-night-s-sleep
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: This is What Your Overactive Brain Needs to Get a Good Night’s Sleep

I'm still gaining an appreciation for the benefits from restful, long sleep. I wonder if the growing lack of restful sleep among Americans account for the seemingly rapid increase in Alzheimer's. According to a survey by the Sleep Research Society of over 400,000 respondents last year, one-third of respondents sleep fewer than 6 hours per night. That's astounding given that the plaque and tangles related to Alzheimer's are flushed from the brain during sleep.

Default Re: This is What Your Overactive Brain Needs to Get a Good Night’s Sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    I'm still gaining an appreciation for the benefits from restful, long sleep.....
    Same here, I usually turn in at around 6PM with an empty stomach, due to my intermittent fasting eating window of only 2 meals in the morning hours by or before noon, another benefit for a good night's sleep.

I'll set the TV's timeout timer for a couple hours watching old reruns with low volume, and usually fall asleep quickly, only to be awakened before midnight to pee, and USUALLY fall back asleep again. And I'm typically up by 3-4AM, "Early to bed, early to rise..."

If I don't get 8 hrs of sleep damn I'm sleepy all dayyy

Sleep duration is a very individual thing, with some doing just fine with 6 hrs while others need 8-10 hrs. Researchers are beginning to pay more attention to health problems associated with "acute" sleep deprivation (serious lack of sleep for 3 to 6 months). Much of research has been devoted to health problems due to "chronic" sleep deprivation (6 months to years). But, not much is known about acute sleep deprivation.

All I know for sure is that if I don't get sufficient sleep (which can vary from 7 to 11 hours, depending on how stressful my day has been) my body will literally force me to sleep. If this happens while I'm driving, I have to find a safe place to pull over pretty quickly.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information